What would cause this problem I've had starting my bike?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

What would cause this problem I've had starting my bike?

Postby juntjoo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Once fired up it (was) doing fine. This was a few months back first half of the summer before a mechanic messed things up(if anyone remembers). I'm in the process of putting it back together and before doing so I just want to make sure I check all needed checked before I bolt it all up. It just felt like it needed more choke I guess. So my first thought was that little fork, if anyone is so familiar, that is cam actuated by the choke mechanism opening the throttle a tiny bit. I had adjusted it a couple times I recall to get it just right and it was perfect last done last winter so I thought it strange during early summer I'd have an issue hence I'm here wondering what else it could be. No other symptoms/issues with it. I just had to crank it over a lot, like as far as warming it up it felt, then after a few firings it would settle on and run just fine.

If no other ideas I may just pry that fork open a bit again but it's setting is so sensitive that point five a millimeter too much and the engine will soar with choke. Thanks guys!
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Volker_P

Re: What would cause this problem I've had starting my bike?

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:24 am

In fact the CB650 is no known for easy and immediate cold starts even if everything is fine.
Cranking a lot may work but this is not that nice.
Maybe you get a bit happier with this proven CB650 cold start procedure.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Volker_P wrote:In fact the CB650 is no known for easy and immediate cold starts even if everything is fine.
Cranking a lot may work but this is not that nice.
Maybe you get a bit happier with this proven CB650 cold start procedure.

Awesome response! Thanks. I just read the initial post and got good nuggets right there. And you were talking about the black knob underneath between both sets of carbs to adjust the throttle correct? The one that directly moves the throttle at idle. That would just be the same holding the throttle open while starting right? I'll see once I get it back up....
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:01 am

Right, you may just use the black manual idle knob if the choke does not move the throttle for whatever reason.
Of course it makes sense to adjust the choke mechanism correctly anyway.
Then you don't have to adjust idle again when the engine is warm.
But the black knob is good way to get a more or less defined throttle gap. :wink:
If open a bit too much it will often just crank with not even sputtering.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”