Using rear axle to remove rotor. What's the trick?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

Using rear axle to remove rotor. What's the trick?

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:09 am

It's really stuck on there. I'm hitting it with a big rubber mallet but I'm afraid I'll bend the axle. I've read about you guys using this method and saw a video even but didn't see/read of anyone having as much difficulty. So I just keep banging away till it cracks? Should I try not to hit it too hard but light and many times or wherever the rotor connects won't bend or break and I can hammer away? Obviously this rotor is garbage so no worry about it. I'm even torching into the middle where under the nut it reaches back to where it sits onto the crank shaft. Tips? Thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Volker_P

Re: Using rear axle to remove rotor. What's the trick?

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:49 am

The basic functionality of the puller is torquing in the bolt to pull the rotor of that way. Sometimes it just works that way, but you must not overtorque the thread.
Proceeding is that you first torque in the bolt/axle to a still acceptable torque. If the rotor does not move, then hit the bolt at the end and check if you can turn in the bolt a bit further with the same torque now. If not, another maybe stronger hit and check again. Repeat multiple times until it comes off.
Be aware that torque and hits can damage things so be patient and start at reasonably low level for both.

Anyway it can become a problem if the rotor is really stuck and you do not have the experience when to stop this job and consider something different.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:26 am

Volker_P wrote:The basic functionality of the puller is torquing in the bolt to pull the rotor of that way. Sometimes it just works that way, but you must not overtorque the thread.
Proceeding is that you first torque in the bolt/axle to a still acceptable torque. If the rotor does not move, then hit the bolt at the end and check if you can turn in the bolt a bit further with the same torque now. If not, another maybe stronger hit and check again. Repeat multiple times until it comes off.
Be aware that torque and hits can damage things so be patient and start at reasonably low level for both.

Anyway it can become a problem if the rotor is really stuck and you do not have the experience when to stop this job and consider something different.

Thank you! That's why I asked. I know this is about the point where I usually break something lol and I hate doing that. I'll take it slow. I'm not using a puller though. Did you think I was using a jaw puller? I do have a set of three actually, small medium and large but the jaws don't quite fit in there around the rotor, just the smallest one who's jaws aren't long enough. That's why I'm using the rear axle. I just got a message in another forum suggesting I continue threading in the axle til it basically pushes the rotor off the crank shaft. I'll just have to find a way to lock the crank shaft. Thanks...
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:21 am

juntjoo wrote:... I do have a set of three actually, small medium and large but the jaws don't quite fit in there around the rotor, just the smallest one who's jaws aren't long enough. That's why I'm using the rear axle.

The weight of the rotor may suggest that it is really robust. However it is not and a jaw puller will probably just cause damage and not help to get it off.
So if you don't get it off with the axle or another bolt, a jaw puller is not a reasonable plan B!
Good luck!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”