Ignition/starter wiring problem

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

greddy2race

Ignition/starter wiring problem

Postby greddy2race » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:57 pm

As the headline suggests, I have an issue with my ignition or starter switch. I am rebuilding this bike,1981 CB650C, and have yet to hook up the gas because of all the electrical problems... but, after replacing the handlebar controls, and replacing the complete harness on the bike, When I turn the key in the ignition to on, the starter engages. This is without me hitting the starter button.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this?

Volker_P

Re: Ignition/starter wiring problem

Postby Volker_P » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:37 am

Welcome here :D

Either the starter button is internally broken to a shorted position or you mixed up cables to the starter solenoid cable plug (e.g. the red with the yellow/red wire). Mixing up cables in plugs might also happen at the handlebars side, possibly you can switch the starter with the/high low beam switch now. :lol:
If solenoid plug and cables are all right, I would open the headlight, disconnect the connector to the right side handlebars wiring and check with a multimeter if things there work as they should.
In the manual linked in my signature below there is an electrics part with a wiring diagram that should help.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”