LED headlight with built in turn signals

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jefe06

LED headlight with built in turn signals

Postby jefe06 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:49 pm

I've wanted to change out the headlight on my bike to make it brighter and consume less electricity, so I bought a LED headlight and it happens to have built in turn signals. The headlight plugs in easily, but there is only one connection for the turn signals and one for the running lights. Thats it. How can I wire up the turn signals so they operate properly when I only have one connection on the headlight and two separate connections from the OEM turn signals.

Attached is a picture of the connection on the headlight.

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (17.66 KiB) Viewed 8233 times

Volker_P

Re: LED headlight with built in turn signals

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:16 am

The original CB 650 turn signal circuit requires

(1) one cable connector for each side
and
(2) 2 x 21W bulbs for each side

Therefore you probably have two problems:
(1) how to distinguish left/right
and
(2) get a proper flash frequency with LED turn signals and stock turn signal relay

I don't know if there is a chance for a simple solution.

First make sure that the red and green cable are really not for the turn lights left and right (it would require an electronic solution of left/right distinction if it is in fact as you show it in your picture).
Possibly the manual of this headlight can help.

Another issue is that a turn signal that close to the headlight is probably not easily recognizable by opposing traffic. At least I would check that out before further considerations. You might find that it is a good idea to keep the original turn signals in any case and forget about the build-in ones for that reason alone. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

flatlander80

Re: LED headlight with built in turn signals

Postby flatlander80 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:46 am

Looks like the LED headlight you bought is for a car/truck/jeep rather than a motorcycle. If there aren’t 2 different wires for turn signals, then they’re wired together. You need to buy a motorcycle specific one to have it work like you want it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Technical Discussion”