VB44a slow speed jet plug

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

coater87

VB44a slow speed jet plug

Postby coater87 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:23 pm

Hello,

Very new to Honda motorcycles, but so far I am having fun.

I have spent time looking and lurking, but a solid answer does not seem to be out there.

The bike is a 81 CB650C with VB44a carburetors that was sitting long enough the floats were full of yellow pudding.

New fasteners and kits were bought and the carbs are split. One thing I did not receive and cannot tell if I need are the rubber plugs for the slow speed jets. It looks like these are easy to find, I am just not positive I need them on these carbs.

One other thing is one of the synchronizing screws is mangled, this is out of stock everywhere and looks to be called "screw set C" by Honda. Does anyone know where I can find one of these sets, or even what the thread pitch and size of the screw is?

Thank you for your time,
Lee

VintageRider

Re: VB44a slow speed jet plug

Postby VintageRider » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:51 pm

I also got the same bike (also a 81 CB650C). Can not answer your question as don’t really know too much and haven’t worked yet on the carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:44 am

Welcome here, Lee! :D

The VB carbs came with two different types of slow jets. First were just plugged in but the VB44C (1982) should have screwed in slow jets.
Just to mention why there might be VB44 parts that your VB44a do not have.

For details on the CV carbs, have a look at the manual linked here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5056
(you find there some screw dimensions, too, but unfortunately not for the sync screws)

I am sorry that I cannot help on your specific questions.

Good luck!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

coater87

Postby coater87 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:21 pm

Ok,

I have split the carbs and I did a good cleaning.

This is a 1981 cb650c with the VB44A carbs with the pressed in slow speed jets.

I read the link that is everywhere on this site for rebuilding carbs like these, but not exactly the same as these.

Anyway, I had installed new rubber slow speed jet plugs, and started the bike. The bike needed full choke AND throttle and was way too lean.

I dropped the bowls back off, and after removing the rubber jet plugs it started and idled well enough to figure out the air\fuel screw.

Stock exhaust, stock air box. I have a stock slow speed jet, 120 main (118 came in the kit) and the air\fuel screw out 2 and 3\4 and it runs well enough to move on with the bike.

Lee

Return to “Technical Discussion”