Crazy fuel leak

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Docfisher

Crazy fuel leak

Postby Docfisher » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:09 pm

Newbie here with 82 CB650 . I have replaced a leaking head gasket and while I had the carbs off I completely disassembled and cleaned them.
I put it all back together and the bike fired right up idles great and seems to rev just fine. But before I took it on the road I noticed a significant fuel leak that appears to be coming from #2 air intake boot. In 53 years of riding and working on bikes I have never seen this. Don't have a clue how fuel can be coming from the air intake boot. Anybody here know what could cause this?

Volker_P

Re: Crazy fuel leak

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:09 am

Welcome here! :D

I do not think that the air intake boot itself should leak fuel as it basically should be air tight.
If it leaks fuel there this would also mean you would have an air leak.

Some ideas what to check:
Occasional or strange behaving fuel leaks are known from the "vaccum tee's" between the carbs. Especially when they are cracked. Hope you had a close look on them during your carb cleaning.
As the main fuel line enters the carbs at #2, worth a look here, too.
Hanging floats may cause carb overflow through the bottom nipples at the carb bowls even with closed release screws.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”