when is a 650 seat not a 650 seat

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

bandwidth69

when is a 650 seat not a 650 seat

Postby bandwidth69 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:56 am

Hi everyone. Stll ahving no luck with getting a descent seat for my UK spec 650 Z. There's a lot of seats out there that CLAIM to be from a 650 - but this is the second one iv tried that just won't fit! :cry:
I'm happy with it and will keep it as a spare - but my most rescent aquisition seems to be from a US bike. The underneath is the same - pan shape, side hinge and lock catch all Match. The problem is closing the thing. It immediately fowls the Z's rear light unit. This leads me to believe the seat is used to not haing one near it and that it is a US spec - chrome light and indicators on the fender job.
My original seat was heavily chopped as the guy who I bought the bike from was...vertically challenged - so isn't very deep. Interestingly, the seat says on it CB 550! in felt tip pen. So I don't know what that's about.

Is a 650z seat the same as a CB 550 seat?

Anyone else got any experience in this - please help??? :shock:
i dont watch big brother

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:02 pm

No, the 550 and 650Z(UK model) is not the same. I'll see if I can find the parts numbers and compare them, but I think the 1980 CB750F2, and maybe the CX500(not the US custom model) might have the same seat as the 650Z. They both have the same rear light unit as the 650.

The seat on the picture of my bike in my sig line is the correct 650Z seat.

bandwidth69

CB 650 seats

Postby bandwidth69 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi. Cool many thanks - it makes sense for Honda to carry SOME parts over I guess. You know what its like - something looks the same so must be the same eh? It snot my first e-bay cock-up, but its fine really. My bike is exactly like yours - (though not as clean) so I'm almost there again. Trouble is I'm seatless now as I had to butcher the already heavily butchered original seat to free the hinge mounting bolts!
You know the worst of it? I had a perfectly good Italian racing seat on my donor bike when i first got my CB - and I binned it! Hell - Iv spent £30 on it (plus a brake resevoir and throttle cable - yes I got one in the end!!!) so I may as well try dave silver and get the real deal for £80 or whatever it is of our good old english pounds!
i dont watch big brother

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:21 pm

That's a shame about the Italian seat. :?

I checked the parts numbers, and they are not the same. But the 78-79CX and the 79-80 DOHC750 have got the same rear light unit as our bikes as far as I can remember. I think an Email to David Silver might be helpful to find out if those seats will fit the 650 as well.

bandwidth69

Thanks

Postby bandwidth69 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:25 pm

I appreciate you checking. Thank you. I'll e-mail dave Silver and make sure that when I get a seat - its the right one. hey, look on the bright side. Iv got a US spec seat, a US spec grab bar - all i need no is the rear ligh/indicator unit and I'll have a tidy enough hybrid i guess! :lol:
i dont watch big brother

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:06 am

:lol:

I have bought one of those custom grab rails by a mistake too.

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:12 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I notice now, that your bike doesn't have a rail fitted does it! CBZ bars go out - US spec go in! ah well. The bikes off the road for the winter anyway. Got a while to look at it again.
i dont watch big brother

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:42 am

You are right, I don't have one either. I have been looking out for one but it's hard to come by.

bandwidth69

Bitten the silver bullet

Postby bandwidth69 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:54 am

Ok. Iv had enough. buying stuf online is just too easy isnt it? Dave Silver have sorted me out with a seat for the old CB and as a bonus, a speedo cable for my CBX 750 FE. Maybe i could gather all the bits and pieces i have from the donor bike and build up that one! :roll:

This bike was just sold on e-bay UK for about £600.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-HONDA-BLUE-C ... dZViewItem

and this little beauty is going for about £200. Shame - cost that much to collect it from where I live.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CB650-1978- ... dZViewItem
i dont watch big brother

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:24 am

The last one would make a cheap parts bike, or a good project bike, for someone. :)

I'm glad they were able to help you out with the seat. :D

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:36 am

I have an old (2005) JC Whitney catalog next my throne and I noticed they list new upholstery for some CB650's. I don't know if they have the one you're looking for or how they fit, etc. but it might be someplace to look.
1980 CB650c

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:57 pm

The 650Z's on the west side of the pond have much smaller tail lights. Plenty of room for the grab rail between the seat and the light.

And we're pretty sure nobody has a bike as clean as Ibsen's. At least nobody that actually rides their bike. :D
'99 1500 Drifter

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:22 am

:o :o :o You mean you RIDE them too? Iv got enough bits (apart from the tail piece that is) to covert mine into a US spec CB now! As far as I can tell, the seats are almost the same - except that the rear of the US ones seem to be deeper at the back end coz the seat goes all the waydown flush to the rear mudguard. Some other CB's including CBz's - have their toolbox hidden inside the rear light cluster. What about the US models?

I thought I was on to a winner - hinges and seat catch all matched, the profile of the seat pan looked OK. Nevermind. Any more visual tips to save an ususpecting e-bayer buying the wrong item in the future? Oh - and don't get tempted to buy unless you can see pictures of the seat upsidedown!

Now - just to wait for the Dave Silver item...
:)
i dont watch big brother

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:31 pm

bandwidth69 wrote::Some other CB's including CBz's - have their toolbox hidden inside the rear light cluster. What about the US models? :)

The tool kit on the US spec bike is held in a tray rivetted to the top of the rear mudguard.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 pm

My tool kit was stuffed inside a tray behind the left side cover when I purchased the bike. Once I took it out, I couldn't get it to fit back in so I intend to purchase a tool bag that mounts on the forks below the headlight. I now store my registration and insurance documents in the tray behind the left cover as well as the leads for my battery tender. I'm also wishing for a set of saddlebags like Chris's this Christmas. Hey, Chris, could you measure those for me?
1980 CB650c

Return to “Technical Discussion”