when is a 650 seat not a 650 seat

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Hue

Postby Hue » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:36 am

http://www.saddlemen.com/index.html

try this place.... its where my new seat cover came from. Might have what your looking for.
1980 CB650 CUSTOM

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:23 am

Chris wrote:My tool kit was stuffed inside a tray behind the left side cover when I purchased the bike. Once I took it out, I couldn't get it to fit back in so I intend to purchase a tool bag that mounts on the forks below the headlight. I now store my registration and insurance documents in the tray behind the left cover as well as the leads for my battery tender. I'm also wishing for a set of saddlebags like Chris's this Christmas. Hey, Chris, could you measure those for me?

I have an old set of black saddlebags that came with Sophie when I bought her. They were well used by the PO. If you want them you can have them for whatever the cost of postage would be. I can send you pics when I get home this w/e.

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:26 am

Chris wrote:I'm also wishing for a set of saddlebags like Chris's this Christmas.

I have an old set of black saddlebags that came with Sophie when I bought her, well used by the PO. I don't use them. You can have them if you want, for the price of postage. I can send pics when I get home this w/e. Let me know.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:16 am

That'd be great. I'll surely have a look at them. Do you have a pic of them on the bike? Thanks, Nick.

And thanks for the link, Hue.
1980 CB650c

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:31 am

bandwith69, that is a common problem that we seem to buy the US Z and C model parts that are up for sale on Ebay to our Euro Z models, at least for a short while. :lol:
Engine parts are not a problem though since they are the same, only the chassi parts.

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:47 pm

You are right Isben - inexperience on my part. takes a while to get to know the different characteristics of each machine you own (if you have more than one that is!). Lots and lots of e-bay stuff out there recently. A flood of stuff. I'm lucky in so much that I have TWO 650's - but one is just too far gone to rescue now. The engine is supposed to be good though Iv never heard it run. Chassis, wheels and forks basically. I'm looking forward to getting to unpack the Dave Silver seat that arrived on Thursday. Been too busy, at least I know its safe in its cardboard box. Come to think of it, I don't actually own an original CB 650 toolbox. They MUST be hard to come by now! As fo keeping documents WITH the bike, can't be done here. Too risky. I know of some biker friends who have their tax disc holders (road fund licence/duty) as a fashionable, yet bulky key ring! Honestly, if its not bolted down it WILL dissapear. Iv had bikes stolen from me in the past. Its not nice. Oh as a general note, more in tune to the nature of this forum - do the frames of the US customs differ greatly from the UK ones? Is there more of a rake to the rear of the frame to accomodate the sloping tank and seat combo? Could you turn a CBz (euro) into a nighthawk/custom - just by changing the tank/panels over? Some of the engine embelishments are cool too. Lots of shiny stuff! :)
i dont watch big brother

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:48 pm

I meant ibsen! Its late. Sorry :oops:
i dont watch big brother

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:02 am

bandwidth69 wrote: Could you turn a CBz (euro) into a nighthawk/custom - just by changing the tank/panels over? :)

No, I once got a RC03 (CB650Z Euro) as spare for my RC05 (CB650 Custom). Only the engine, the carbs, some basic electric components and a bunch of small parts fit. I think the rear shocks should also fit, but I am unsure about that. Frame is different and most parts attached won't fit as e.g even the airbox, the brakes or the main stand. This was quite disappointing and I sold most of that stuff again. :( After all, at least I got a fine engine for nothing but the trip and the disassemble work. :roll:
I think for an RC05 more Chassis parts from a CX500C will fit than from a RC03. Frame of RC08 (black engine Custom, maybe tht's the SOHC NIGHTHAWK) and DOHC NIGHTHAWK are again different.
The US RC03 look different to EURO Z-models and promise an increased compatibility from a first glance. I do not know the facts here however.
I got really nerved discovering tricky, small discrepancies which often decide wheter parts fit or not. Sometimes you can make them fit, however.
(SOHC) engine parts are usually interchangeable, besides the two cyklinder heads where the black one is not available in the piston carb version as far as I am aware.

Return to “Technical Discussion”