rain

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Hue

rain

Postby Hue » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:48 pm

so is it fine for the bike to be driven year round? We only have rain here, no snow. Its going to be my only traspotation considering my truck swallowed a valve.
any extra things need to be done to it? more often tune ups?
1980 CB650 CUSTOM

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:47 am

It may start a little slower below about 45 deg. F. Have a good battery and tread on your tires, and you should be fine. Some prefer a windsheild during cooler weather and rain. They attach and remove in minutes.
'99 1500 Drifter

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:26 pm

How far will your commute be?

As Vatch says, make sure that your tyres are in good shape and that your brakes are OK. Keep your head up and look as far ahead as possible so that you can predict anything which will involve rapid braking or course correction.

Otherwise, have at it! These bikes make excellent commuters, in all weathers.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

Hue

Postby Hue » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:01 pm

20 miles round trip to school and about 5 miles round trip to work

I had my brother (rider of about 25 yrs.) come over and check out the bike and he said it was very nice. Back tire will need replacing but still has good tread on it. Other than that, it looks and runs great. Breaks are great too. Just your typical front break squeel until you ride about 2 miles...
1980 CB650 CUSTOM

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:36 pm

Hue wrote:20 miles round trip to school and about 5 miles round trip to work

That's good. The oil will get nice and hot so you won't have condensation problems inside the crankcase.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650

1971 Norton Commando

1968 CB175

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:02 am

Hue wrote: Back tire will need replacing but still has good tread on it.

If it's wet and cold, besides tread also the tyres' age plays a role as the rubber gets hardened with time (especially from UV-light).
Rear wheel will get blocked very easy then and front will not be safe either. I think 5 years are the limit for wet winter riding, but one can keep the tyres and give it to them next summer. :)
Probably you will find that engine power and response will decrease during a time of short trips only. But this will restore after one longer turn at higher revs. :wink: If you want to avoid this, you can try to use hotter spark plugs in winter. But don't leave them installed in (California) summer, engine may be damaged.

bandwidth69

Rain

Postby bandwidth69 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:26 am

I agree with all that's been said. I live in one of the wettest parts of the UK - my CB has been used all year round with no problems. An early mod on my machine was to change the air filters from stock to K&N type filters. In winter I'd hook up the stock airbox again, just to keep things both dryer and more reliable - especially in extreme cold. But has a rule, these bikes just go an go. I think the worst thing I experienced one winter was a dodgy indicator switch!
i dont watch big brother

Return to “Technical Discussion”