Where do these really come from?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

DammitDan

Where do these really come from?

Postby DammitDan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:45 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-Hon ... QQtcZphoto

Those are the coolest things I've seen in a while, but I'm pretty sure they're not for an '82 CB650. Think they would fit?

If I had $50 to spare I would buy em up and throw them on the bike, since I'm lacking rear signals and I can't stand the stock gigantic insect antenna-style ones.[/i]

Volker_P

Re: Where do these really come from?

Postby Volker_P » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:32 am

I would think they really look like CB650 rear shocks, but I have two basic concerns about what was done there:

- lowering the rear springs is quite stupid as the rear is getting blocked quite easily even in original setup. I even have inserted an extra support ring to increase pre-tension of springs in case of carrying some luggage or riding with a passenger. What they have done will just waste moving range of rear shocks. If you are not a lightweight Japanese, this construction will get blocked every other bump in the street.
- welding springs (or any other hardened steel) will not work just like that. Basically you have to glow out, weld and re-harden it. Otherwise you just transfer the surface by heat in something weldable. The welding seam itself will not break, but the interface of heated to unheated structure inside will fail soon.

You may try to get the signals separately (or get it complete abnd throw away the springs, maybe damping is still useable) and fit them on your rear shocks. As you don't have a 4-4, it may reliably visible from behind.

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:41 am

Or just email them and ask where they got the blinkers. And seeing as how I don't have anything right now in regards to rear signals (except my hand) it would be quite useful. I just could never find anything that looked right :D

Volker_P

Re: Where do these really come from?

Postby Volker_P » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:14 am

Did you ever consider some temporary solution to stay alive? In traffic here riding without rear blinkers would be quite dangerous. Except you are faster than everybody else. Oh, I think I just got your strategy. :lol:

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:23 pm

Blinkers are optional in some states in the USA and in most states if the bike was built before 1975. Besides, you don't need blinkers if your bike is loud enough. :lol:
'99 1500 Drifter

Return to “Technical Discussion”