Exhaust

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

hydrashock45

Exhaust

Postby hydrashock45 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:22 am

Ok, so when I park the bike in the garage after a ride home from work, the garage begins to smell heavily of exhaust and fuel (So bad that it gets into EVERYTHING that is in the garage). Does anyone else have this? Or an idea on curing it?
On the road of life, two wheels feel so much better

1979 CB650

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:27 am

Hi there. You don't say if you leave the bike for a bit or garage it straightaway? :?:
My bikes live actually in the house - (well a room attached to the house). Its a no-no to put the machines in straight after a ride because of the problems you are encountering. I'll leave mine for a bit - at least until everything cools down. Temps get very high - burning oil from the engine, fuel, exhaust gasses - they all...well...stink a bit. I mean we all do after a bit of excercise right? Have you a fuel leak somewhere that isnt noticable. If there's a strong petrol smell, chances are you're leaking from somewhere! Theres's bound to be a touch of burnt oil knocking about too.

Unless its really really strong, then I'd say its all very normal? :wink:
i dont watch big brother

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Check that you don't have any fuel leaks anywhere, and that the carbs isn't overflowing or running extremely rich adding fuel to the exhaust. If all is well, I would agree with bandwidth69. If the engine is very hot, it will warm up the fuel in the tank a little, and the fume will be vented out through the vent hole in the fuel cap. That is normal. I have two bikes parked in the garage during the riding season, and there is always a slight smell of gasoline in there.

Volker_P

Re: Exhaust

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:17 am

You could feel with your finger at the petcock and the floater bowls to see wheter it gets slightly covered with fuel. I had such problems with my petcock, it was just slightly wetted and no fuel puddle was visible but you had the smell. Rubber fuel lines often start to leak that way before complete failure too, so it is worth a look on them, too.
But as already written, with the heat from the engine directly below the tank in a non vented room this is normal to a certain level.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:09 pm

Then gods of motorcycling must have brought me and my new garage together, because there is plenty of ventilation when all the doors are closed. :roll:
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Re: Exhaust

Postby Volker_P » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:37 am

Vatch wrote:Then gods of motorcycling must have brought me and my new garage together, because there is plenty of ventilation when all the doors are closed. :roll:

You could try with walls next to the doors. :lol:
But I agree that ventilation is worth much. Not so much for smells but for humidity (well, it's kind of swamp here) which means corrosion. I already put some spacers to get the gap between roof and wall a bit larger. But it looks like I still have to do something for improvement. If I did not spray it with oil over winter, my CB would look like a bucket of rust in spring.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Rust is my concern in this garage. How exactly do you spray the bike with oil? A technical question.
'99 1500 Drifter

hydrashock45

Humid? what's that?

Postby hydrashock45 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:12 pm

we don't get too humid here. it's more like the great American desert here. have to worry more about big hairy spiders eating your seats :) but I left the bike out for a ehilw before puttign it in the garage, that helps a bit. i think i have a small leak on the bottom of the fuel out of the little valve thing above the engine if you look through the hole between engine and carbs.
now to figure out where the heck it's coming from....

1979 CB650

Ibsen

Re: Humid? what's that?

Postby Ibsen » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:42 pm

hydrashock45 wrote:we don't get too humid here. it's more like the great American desert here. have to worry more about big hairy spiders eating your seats :) but I left the bike out for a ehilw before puttign it in the garage, that helps a bit. i think i have a small leak on the bottom of the fuel out of the little valve thing above the engine if you look through the hole between engine and carbs.
now to figure out where the heck it's coming from....

I know. I have a Kawasaki that was imported from Colorado, the PO lived in Greeley btw, and it had a dead spider inside the tachometer and a spiders nest inside the right hand switchgear.. :lol:

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:44 am

Ibsen wrote:I know. I have a Kawasaki that was imported from Colorado, the PO lived in Greeley btw, and it had a dead spider inside the tachometer and a spiders nest inside the right hand switchgear.. :lol:

Ah, Greeley, Colorado...known for slaughter houses. :roll:
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:32 am

Vatch wrote:Rust is my concern in this garage. How exactly do you spray the bike with oil? A technical question.

You can get commercial aerosol cans with conservation oil. That's the most easy way but as the fun involved with splashing around with oil is quite limited, I do it this way: I use a mixture of about 1:1 fuel oil and (fresh) engine oil, the fuel oil is to get it a bit less viscous for spraying it with a household cleaner spray device and also for self-distribution on the surfaces. That's the way I spray oil into my exhaust after a ride. As it is still the one that was installed when I bought it in 1992, it seems to have some use.
For the complete bike, I did it the same way, as however the spraying into fine aerosols is still poor with this manual houshold tools, this year I used an old electrical paint-spray gun. It worked perfectly. The most time is required for covering the tyres and especially the front brakes. However there seems no reasonable way to reach the front mudgard bottom side without removing it.
I would swap corrosion against spiders immediately. :wink:

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:48 am

If you can get Quaker State QS-14, it is excellent for preserving the bike during the winter. And it is very easy to clean off with a mild degreaser in the spring. And it does not destroy paint, rubber, or any other material.

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/Quake ... icants.PDF

hydrashock45

Postby hydrashock45 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:52 am

Ah, Greeley, Colorado...known for slaughter houses. :roll:[/quote]

Actually, sadly enough, alot of those slaughterhouses have closed and outsourced. but on the plus side, the smell doesn't waft to the next town i live in.

1979 CB650

Return to “Technical Discussion”