Just got my new Hookers!!!

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Zeke

Just got my new Hookers!!!

Postby Zeke » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:28 pm

Howdy you all!!

Good to be in the company of my 650 brothers.

This is a post I've got going on the SOHC site. I just bought a 4 to 1 NOS Hooker system for my bike. Flawless. Can't use the centerstand though, but a friend at work says we can weld one up for the garage that will work fine.

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=7611.0

Wondering what you all feel about pods? The data sheet that came with the exhaust says high flow filter is best, and that I'll need to rejet. I have stock airbox and stock jets -- 95 I think.

I have 4-4 pipes now, and standard jetting. I'd like to pick up some various sizes to give it a try myself. Also, some needle shims. What thickness, and how many should I buy?

Can't wait. My old pipes are falling apart, and I've tried for two years to find a set of 2-2 or 4-4 to replace them, and last year almost bought a set of Motad 4-1s from UK (600 bucks, ouch!!), so I'm psyched to try these out.

Help me out.

Zeke

Volker_P

Re: Just got my new Hookers!!!

Postby Volker_P » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:23 am

Hi,
I am sorry I have no idea of this special exhaust. If you do not get any detailed info on that, you will have to find out carb/airbox modifications for yourself.
Most important thing then is to avoid running too lean as overheating damage may occur. So you should carefully check your timing and valve clearance before you start your jetting experiments. Balancing carbs is necessary for a reasonable lower rpm behaviour. I would try that with the original carb setting (prior carb inspection/cleaning might be a good idea) but already with the new exhaust. Make sure that the exhaust is tight at the engine outlet.
I know this is a lot of preparation work but without a resonable basis you should not expect convincing results. A good preparation may also help to avoid to unmount the carbs too often.
After jetting or airbox modifications that provide an engine characteristic you like, check the spark plugs (of correct heat value of course) directly after a medium to high load run (not ride slowly 1km before you have a look). I would have a look on all four at the beginning, later the two outermost may be sufficient. For the final setup and from time to time all four again.
If your new pipes are not double walled, they could fastly get gold then blue even without too lean mixture.
Hope that helps a bit.

Zeke

Postby Zeke » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:58 am

Thanks, Volker!

My engine has about 4000 miles since my rebuild a year ago. I'll adjust the valves again, and my carbs were rebuilt last year. I've recently balanced the carbs with my Morgan Carbtune, and my bike seems to run well. Could idle just a bit better -- I had trouble after the rebuild getting the pilot adjustment just right, and was thinking of enlisting pro help this year.

Since I already have the stock airbox I think I'll start with a HiPo air filter -- Does anyone know where I can get a K&N filter? I'd also like to order a few jets so I can at least give it a try. I currently have 95s.

What jets should I start with? 100, 105? 110? If you have a 4-1 let me know what you have, It may work as a starting point.

What about shims for adjusting the needles? Any ideas?

Thansk

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:43 am

Like to help but my bikes with the 4-1 are both 81s with cv carbs. And I am at 5500 ft above sea level. Stock was 120 and everyone told me with headers and pods that was fine for the alt. When I started racing played with the jets and I'm using 112.5 in race bike and 115 in street bike. So much for the experts.
I know k&n made a drop in air filter that was good. Pods make it easier for changing jets.
Still want to see pics.
Oh I am putting together a 80 and might put on a 4-1 but it will be awhile.

Terry

Zeke

Postby Zeke » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:06 pm

Hey Terry:

I wasn't around this weekend, too much snow -- has to go skiing!!

Hmm, I'll see if I can make it home before it gets dark this week -- pipes out in the shed, no lights.

Sounds like I should get a handfull of different jet sizes. How much are they?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:53 am

I think I payed 12 or so bucks a set but that was 10 yrs ago. Havent needed any more.

Terry

Return to “Technical Discussion”