Suspension oddity

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:21 pm

the rear axle apparently was off by a little bit giving me that walking sensation. Got it straightened out today. But the front end thing is still there.

I was looking at my front axle again. and i noticed that the disc brake/speedo drive side of the axle sticks out a little farther than the no disc side. Is this normal???

Volker_P

Re: Suspension oddity

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:48 am

Now that I think a bit about it, a loose steering bearing may cause a slight knockin-like feeling. Maybe that's also your problem, it's worth a check.
Sorry, I don't know about symmetry of the single disk front.

For the rear, make sure your swing arm does not move perpendicular to its axis. There is a possibility to stick the big axle washers with their rim in a position that will allow to tighten the axle nut without getting the swing arm properly guided. But as you seem to be quite sensible to chassis behaviour, in this case you would probably have reported a feeling close to riding a hoovercraft. :lol:

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:57 am

The nut is machined to fit in the lowers and cap. It does have a lip that sticks out.

Terry

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:34 am

I never thought about a loose bearing. Is there room in the wheel for the bearing to move around?

The rear end seems to be corrected now and doing well.

Volker_P

Re: Suspension oddity

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:37 am

My concern was not the wheel bearings. I do not know the exact English technical expression, but it is the vertical bearing of the steering fork in the frame that can be adjusted by a pair of big nuts below the handlebar mounting.

Return to “Technical Discussion”