scary throttle/bad idle

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

davesee

scary throttle/bad idle

Postby davesee » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:54 pm

i'm starting to feel like i'm making progress with this thing (1980 cb650) and the bike seems almost rideable (if you're crazy). i think if i can lick this current problem then i will actually have a bike.

the bike starts with some coaxing with the choke on, but needs a little throttle blip at just the right time. it will settle down to idle with the choke on at pretty near 3000 RPM.

once the bike is warm it will not truly idle with the choke off, but it can be made to sit around 2500. if you give it any load at all it needs a tonne of throttle or it stalls.

scarier is its tendency to stay at the last highest rpm, so if i rev to 5 or 6000 then it stays there whether in neutral or with the clutch in or in gear. the only way to get it to come down is to try and stall the bike out with a bit of load. this makes for very interesting test rides. i have checked the throttle cable, but even using the idle screw has the same effect...set the idle screw to 5000 and then back way off, but the rev's stay high.

i'm mystefied (although that's not hard to do).....

Return to “Technical Discussion”