Brake disc bolts sheared off, easily !!!

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

pae

Brake disc bolts sheared off, easily !!!

Postby pae » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:47 pm

Jeepers.... took both front discs off my 650Z today to start cleaning up the comstars and 2 of the 5 bolts just sheared when untightening the nuts. Both of them broke off in just inside the nut. I wasn't putting any real pressure on either.

You might want to check yours...

Phil

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Are the bolts steel or alloy? Scary!
i dont watch big brother

Volker_P

Re: Brake disc bolts sheared off, easily !!!

Postby Volker_P » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:50 am

That really sounds dangerous. Maybe corrosion due to contact of different materials. Do you have a picture of the bolt and the thread in the wheel? I had a look in the manual, they get only about 30Nm. Maybe somebody has overtightened them, however I would expect this would rather damage the thread in the wheel than the bolts. :?
BTW: your project progress is quite impressing. I looks like it could be worth to care also a bit for my front forks. :)

pae

Postby pae » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:20 am

They're steel bolts, the normal Honda type with the figure 8 on the head, so I'd think they are standard bolts and not a particularly high grade.

They are through bolts (M8 x 100 hex head setscrew) that pass right through the disc, plain holes in the hub (Comstar wheels), through the other disc and then have a flanged nut on the other end. The thread has sheared just inside the nut. I'm amazed how easliy they sheared.

I'll post some pics when the cameras batteries are recharged.

regards, Phil

Return to “Technical Discussion”