Short in the grounding?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Hue

Short in the grounding?

Postby Hue » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:33 pm

The other day when i came out at 5am to start up the bike to leave for work.. I notice that my nutral light was on. I hopped on, warmed it up, and rode to work. Havent seen it again.
Now, last night, when I was taking the trash out I noticed it was on again. Not wanting to mess with it i ran upstairs to get a screwdriver to get the fuse cover off and remove the fuse.
Ok... bear with me... this is where it gets wierd.
I pulled the fuse and yes the green nutral light went out only to turn on the oil light. Replaced the fuse and the oil light turned off and the nurtarl light came back on. I started the bike and turned it off but no change. I put the bike into the actual nutral gear and turned off the key and ta-da! No more glowing light.
Now, is that a grounding issue?
Not fun to do at 1am in the pouring down rain but better than waking up to a dead battery!
1980 CB650 CUSTOM

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:59 pm

I have a similar issue with my turn signals. They either stay on, really low - don't work at all or work half power front and full rear. Its a dodgy earth/ground I think. Loose connection somewhere in the headlamp bowl maybe. That's what i'd check first on yours. Bike wiring is notorious for breaks/splits and exposure to the weather screws up most things at some point. I hope, like in my case sadly, you didn't have a plumber tackle the electrics! Wow what a mess. I had to buy a new loom in the end! Have fun! :D
i dont watch big brother

Hue

Postby Hue » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:14 pm

That is probably more closer to truth than I was hopeing for. Sometimes, when taking off in the morning I have to give the fuse box a good whack to get the front lights to turn on. Looks like im going to have to take off the headlight that I just put on and check up in there and see if anything is loose or what not. DANG IT! I hate doing electrical!
Thanks for the advice! Gave me a starting point.
1980 CB650 CUSTOM

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:53 am

I think you have more than one problem.
The first is related to the ignition lock switch. Because everything should stay dark when the key is taken off at zero position. Not to mix up with parking position (in case your model has).

The second comes here:
Hue wrote: I have to give the fuse box a good whack to get the front lights to turn on..

Well, then the fuse box is the point you should start with. Sometimes the fuse wires are broken but still have a weak contact. I also had several broken clamps on one side which resulted in an unsure fuse contact. You usually don't see this at a first glace, so check the fuses for free play at both endings.

If your ignition switch is allright it maybe only one fault by occasional contact between two wires. One of them is either the wire from battery via the starter relais and main fuse to the ignition lock or the wire from the main fuse to the regulator/rectifier. The second seems not that easy to guess.

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:51 am

much more of a sensible answer! :oops:
i dont watch big brother

Return to “Technical Discussion”