clutch noise

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

B4

clutch noise

Postby B4 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:25 am

Just looking for advice guys. Rode my cb650 up and down the drive tonight for the first time...interesting with a pot on my right arm/hand :shock: Feels strong. There is a rumbling noise that dissappears completely when the clutch is engaged. I expect that it is the clutch bearing and wantd to know if its common to replace anything else with it ie thrust washer etc or can I just replace the bearing???
dont put a blanket over me...I was only blinking!!

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:01 am

Clutch rattle is fairly common on CBs. It will sound like a handful of large gravel crunching around inside the clutch when the bike is in neutral or when the clutch is pulled in, and goes away (or nearly so) when the bike is in gear. And it gets much worse when the carbs are out of sync or you have old oil/low oil.

Try syncing the carbs as close as you can get them before diving into the clutch. After that, try adjusting the adjuster nut on the clutch cover. And from everything I've heard, the rattle isn't a big deal mechanically but can certainly get on your nerves aesthetically.

B4

Postby B4 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:20 am

Thats reasuring :) Carbs are fully in synch so I replaced the bearing this morning it was not difficult. There is still some noise but much less and whn I rotated the old bearing in my hand with a bit of pressure it was grinding so best out anyway. Cant wait to ride it :D
dont put a blanket over me...I was only blinking!!

Return to “Technical Discussion”