CX 500 calipers

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

bandwidth69

CX 500 calipers

Postby bandwidth69 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:40 am

Ok. I know. I've done loads of things on brakes. Stripped, boiled, burnt - you name it - I've done it. And that includes all the mistakes.

Anyway, today is a suzuki day. So Mostly, I hve been doing suzuki things. basically cleaning it, coz I don't touch my suzuki. I let the garage do all that stuff. Its expensive, but at least I know its done right and I never wake up in the night screaming "IF ONLY ID LEFT IT ALONE...!!!!"

Anyway. Cleaning doesnt take long. So I had some time to kill. Then, those CX 500 calipers I bought on ebay for two of our English pounds (cost eight to post mind you) began calling my name.

I looked ta them, they looked at me. Then the old CB said "go on, you know you want to..." - So I took the old calipers off and replaced them with the CX 500 ones!

The news is...incase you don't know this already...is that they seem to fit. Mounting holes are the same. As far as I can see, brake disc coverage looks decent. A straight swap. Now, the only thing is that I did not check the calipers before I put them on. So I've bled the system - but Im not getting much stopping power. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. however...still getting loads of air. The system looks airtight enough and was working with the other set of calipers.

IF THERE ARE SOME OBVIOUS COMPATABILITY ISSUES THAT I AM MISSING HERE - WHAT ARE THEY?

Like I said - just an experiment - but useful to know if it all works out. The CX 500 situation on e-bay is a lot healthier than the CB650! :)
i dont watch big brother

Volker_P

Re: CX 500 calipers

Postby Volker_P » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:00 am

Interesting to hear that the CX 500 calipers fit mechanically for the Z-model.
In case the pistons are larger, the brake lever may need more way to go which causes an impression of more spongy brakes.
You should compare whether the position of the bleeding valve is not approriate for the CB650 brake orientation to get all the air out reliably.
But if you really get air out permanently, then the caliper seals are worn and/or the surfaces are rough. Does the brake fluid level vary?

bandwidth69

Postby bandwidth69 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:28 am

Thanks for the reply. Im not mad, honest. Im not sure of piston size - though a quick gander at the brake pad profile suggests that the 500 and 650 pads are similar. Your explination refarding spongey brakes makes sense. Will dedicate this saturday to do a "proper" inspection of the whole system. I think Iv spent about 30 minutes on the conversion so far! I'll check the position of the brake calipers and bleed valve angle. I have mounted calipers upsidedown before now!

But, it is interesting that, at least physically, they are a perfect match to the forks and could help in keeping a CB on the road, where maybe a missing brake part could force a poor owner to puit it up for sale!

I would LOVE to hear of any other tips and tricks like this. :) :) :)
i dont watch big brother

Return to “Technical Discussion”