What size Carburator Jets

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

ksl420

What size Carburator Jets

Postby ksl420 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Hello,

I live in Colorado and I think I need to install new Jets in my carbs, I have been having an intermittent problem, when driving down the road using going over 55mph, the engine just seems to quit, if I rev the throttle is sounds like it is bogging out. I go tthe bike last year, It is originally form the east coast so I am not sure what size jets on should be running on the bike out here. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kris

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:50 pm

Hello Kris, and welcome. :)

We need to know what year model your bike is, and what type of carbs you have, to be able to help you out. There is a huge difference between the piston carbs and the CV carbs used on the 650. 8)

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:35 am

Welcome here! :D
As Ibsen said, some additional info would help. In addition to his points, it would be interesting whether you have still original air filter and exhaust. Also altitude may play a role. In my prejudice, Colorado sounds a bit elevated. :lol:
Before trying out jettings, you should be sure that valve clearances and ignition is allright. There should also be enough fuel from the fuel cock. There is a filter screen inside the tank which may limit fuel flow when blocked. How do your spark plugs look like? Are you sure it ran fine at the east coast? Because I guess it would do 55mph even on only 2 cylinders. Do you already have an idea on fuel consumption?

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:12 am

Welcome. The fuel delivery system can become clogged over time on older bikes. I agree with Volker, before digging into the bike check the air filter, the fuel filter if there is one, and take a look at the spark plugs, they will say a lot about what is happening. Some other less invasive things to try are 1) try to drain each float bowl with the screws underneath to make sure you are getting gas to each carb 2) if they are getting gas run some SeaFoam or other type fuel treatment through to try to clean up insides of the carbs.
'99 1500 Drifter

Return to “Technical Discussion”