Oil Filter Assembly

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Chris

Oil Filter Assembly

Postby Chris » Fri May 11, 2007 2:38 am

Go ahead and poke fun at me if you like, I may deserve it...

I was doing an oil change on my bike today (only the second since I bought it) and while I had the filter assembly laid out in the order it was removed, I noticed something. If I put it back together the way I took it apart, those holes in the filter bolt would be covered by the spacer. So I pulled out my new Clymer's manual that I just bought last week and looked up 'oil change'. It said that the spring goes against the filter housing, followed by the washer, the filter, and then the spacer against the crankcase. Hmm. It seems that for the past year I've had the spacer and the spring locations reversed! Now I'm pretty sure that when I did last year's oil change, I put everything back the way I took it off.

So three things could've happened... 1)I didn't put everything back the way I took it off last year... 2)I did, but it was incorrect when I bought the bike... 3)I mixed things up today when I took the filter off and my mind is just playing tricks on me.

The oil light hasn't come on in the past year other than when I turn on the ignition. The engine never made any top end noise like it might have been lacking lubrication. I didn't see any metal in the oil when I drained it. The bike runs fine... maybe I'm just crazy. :lol:
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Re: Oil Filter Assembly

Postby Volker_P » Fri May 11, 2007 3:28 am

Hi Chris,
I am not sure how much the shift of the filter to the rear plays a role as the spring also has a certain length. The holes in the bolt near the head are for the overpressure valve and not needed in normal operation. As long as there are still some holes below the filter, there should not be much difference. But things may become critical when the filter gets plugged.

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Fri May 11, 2007 4:12 am

When I got my 650 the spacer was missing, but I didn't seem to have caused any problem. But I made sure to buy a new spacer before I assembled the filter house.
If you don't have any noticeable problems, and assembled the spacer correctly, it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Btw, the oil is pumped into the filter housing, then filtered trough the oil filter, and then pumped through the holes in the filter bolt and through the bolt and then back into the oil passage for the crank bearings and the top end. And as Volker said, the top end of the bolt contains a pressure valve. The engins oil pressure relief valve is located on the top of the oil pump, next to the oil pressure switch:

http://cosky0.tripod.com/imagelib/siteb ... et=tlx_new

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Fri May 11, 2007 11:15 am

I won't laugh at you. Two weeks ago I changed my oil and filter. I put the filter back on the bike and was about to add the oil when I saw the washer laying on the garage floor. I consulted the manual to see if it was an "important" piece. :roll:
'99 1500 Drifter

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri May 11, 2007 11:29 am

Volker, Ibsen, thank you for the info.

Vatch, you're gonna love this. There's no washer in mine either :lol: I tried to shove the spring past the rubber grommet that it seats against on the filter and it wouldn't pass, so I think it'll be ok until I find a washer for it.

:lol: Hey, at least I changed the oil. That's more than some folks do. :lol:
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon May 14, 2007 1:00 am

Chris wrote: :lol: Hey, at least I changed the oil. That's more than some folks do. :lol:

That's really fantastic! As soon as I find an adequate award I will propose you for it. :P

As the end of the spring is not a perfect circle, the washer between spring and filter is meant as a protection and continous support for the rubber seal of the filter.

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon May 14, 2007 1:29 am

Thanks, Volker, but there's really no need for an award. Having had the components mixed up and the missing washer is quite an embarassment, but if someone reads this thread and comes away with a better understanding of the right and wrong way to install the filter assembly, I can live with the shame.
1980 CB650c

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:01 pm

Got that washer in there now, by the way :wink:
1980 CB650c

Return to “Technical Discussion”