back fire or miss fire either way it sux

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

grimz

back fire or miss fire either way it sux

Postby grimz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:35 pm

well the bike has been runnin not to bad for the last week,but today started backfiring.
alot.and smokin more than usual
i am burnin a bit of oil which i can understand ,it is an ol bike and needs a bit of werk,
i get to roun 5000rpm and i dont know if i should be duckin or what.i live in a crabby neibourhood so the backfires gets me alot of enemies fast.
anyone with any ideas on what might have caused this.?
i did just put in some penzoil junk which i dont like.its a 10w40 but i dont like it,
also when im takin off im hearin this clickity sound comin from up front somewhere and its there when i go into 2nd gear but disapears once im movin at a decent pace
sounds like something metal clickin off metal ,not cool in my ears. cam chain maybe?
is this gonna cause me major problems if i kep ridin it like that?

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:28 pm

Have you adjusted the cam chain and the valves?
And the backfiring could be caused by a lean mixture, an air leak in the intake manifolds or an ignition timing out of adjustment.
Also the opposite problem, an overly rich mixture, could cause backfiring as there will be a rest of non-burnt fuel in the exhaust gases that can catch fire and cause a backfire.

grimz

Postby grimz » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:54 pm

mech was sayin it sounds like raw feul bein dumped.
i do need to adjust the cam chain i hear it goin though 1st n 2nd

Volker_P

Re: back fire or miss fire either way it sux

Postby Volker_P » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:08 am

Remembering some mistreated engines I think your engine needs a systematic check and adjustment to get it running fine and avoid further damage.
As Ibsen already stated, cam chain and valve adjustment is one thing to do. If after that there is still major clicking from the head, something is wrong. Chain tension can be checked with a screwdriver when the center engine cover is removed. Have a look on the spark plugs. If they don't look fine and equal, change them for new ones. Could be no fault and saves much time and work.
The CB does not need any special, expensive oil, but you schould keep the interval and change the filter also. If meatl parts or dirt comes out when you releasethe oil, it is worth to remove the oil pan and check the oil filter sucking screen for plugging. Some guys make excessive use of sealants, you can find it there in this case.
You schould not ride with that. The CB engine is quite robust (mine passed 101000km yesterday) as long as you take good care and everything is adjusted correctly. But I have also seen destroyed engines with much lower mileage. Mostly one could trace back to poor maintenance and "riding as it is" ignoring the sounds of metal destruction. I think a CB engine has not deserved to end up like that.

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:00 am

I agree with Volker. When they are well taken care of and properly tuned and started from cold these engines will make some noises from the valve train, but as soon as the engine is warm it should be quiet and just hum (almost).

grimz

ok

Postby grimz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:45 pm

ok i did the oil and changed the filter ,cleaned the air filter and swapped the plugs,lets see how she rides tonight ,cam chain seems goo to go as well

Return to “Technical Discussion”