Footpeg Swap

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Chris

Footpeg Swap

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Got big feet? One of the things that I noticed when I first purchased my 1980 CB650Custom was that the distance between my pegs and controls seemed a bit short. My feet aren't very big, but with size 10 - 11 workboots on, it seemed kinda cramped. At first, I wanted to modify the pegs, but eventually I got used to them. Last month I picked up a spare engine from a '79 CB650 in Kentucky. The seller had some other parts left from the bike and I bought spare coils/wires, left control switch, clutch lever, choke cable, and footpegs. These pegs were a little shorter than mine, but I'm pretty sure they were stock on the '79 that they came off of. Today, I swapped them. Here are pictures...
The top set are the old pegs off my bike.
Left side - before.
Left side - after.
Right side - before.
Right side - after.

The bolt gets torqued to 60 ft. lbs. (if I read the manual correctly - 12mm bolt = 60 ft. lbs.)

Now the heels of my workboots rest on the pegs comfortably. I guess they're a little higher as well. Maybe 1in. ? It definately feels different, but not really in a bad way. It seems like I sit up straighter in the saddle... weird :?
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Re: Footpeg Swap

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:49 am

Hi Chris,
That's really interesting. Excellent pictures! :D
I have bent my gear lever to the front to pass very close to the alternator cover to get ahead with my new boots. These footpegs might be helpful. I worry a bit about the increase of the the knee angle and moreover because they are shorter. But maybe worth a try anyway.

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:26 am

Hi, Volker. I'll be interested to hear how you like the change.

Also, for future reference, the choke cable from the same bike fit my '80 Custom perfectly last night. The clutch lever assembly fit as well. I wish I knew for sure what model '79 the bike was that these parts came off of. I'll try to contact the seller and find out.
1980 CB650c

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:57 am

Seller says it was a standard '79 CB650 with the flat saddle. Not like my '80 Custom.
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Re: Footpeg Swap

Postby Volker_P » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:23 am

Thanks Chris, this means they will be hard to get here because in Europe we usually had the Z-model version of RC03 with the aluminum footpeg carrier plate. It's not urgent, maybe I prepare something for a "dry test" before I care further to get them.

Return to “Technical Discussion”