Making Aluminum Shine

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Tunes81CB

Making Aluminum Shine

Postby Tunes81CB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:07 am

Any good ideas out there on how to clean and polish those aluminum covers on the CB650?
Tunes81CB

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:53 am

To prepair them, gently wet sanding them starting off with a 400 grit paper and ending with a 1200 or 1500 grit. Then polish them with an Aluminium polish. And to acchieve that mirror finish a buff wheel is needed. But it will look pretty good if you polish by hand also.
Btw, here in Norway, and in other parts of Europe as well, we use Autsol made by Solvol. It's an excellent polish, but I don't know if you can get it in USA.

An example of an engine cover for a Kawasaki polished with a buff wheel and Autosol after wet sanding it:

(That is not me on the picture btw. :lol: )

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:30 am

I'm very interested in trying this product that I hear so much about. I've been using Mother's Aluminum Polish on my covers, but the results don't look anything close to that Kawasaki cover in the above photo. They look alot better than they did, but not that good. Found 'Autosol' results on eBay. I wonder if the price is right? No additonal results under 'Solvol'. How long will a 3.3oz. tube of this Autosol last?

The wet sanding works very well. Also, I had some luck using a VERY FINE ScotchBrite pad or super fine steel wool w/polish in the initial stages. I have yet to find a suitable attachment for my Dremel tool to reach into the tight spots. The chuck and tool shank always contact the metal and leave nasty marks. :x Don't try scotchbrite on a electric drill attachment, it's way too agressive. :shock:

Ibsen, how much maintanence is involved in retaining a shine like that once it's achieved?
1980 CB650c

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:19 pm

To keep them shiny you can use a liqiud hardwax after they are polished.

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:45 am

Ok, thanks, Ibsen.

Tunes, I found another link tonight. Are you familiar with the Eastwood Company that sells automotive restoration tools and supplies? They list Autosol in their catalog: http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1018&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=641&iSubCat=659&iProductID=1018
1980 CB650c

Return to “Technical Discussion”