Running rough after 15 or 20 miles of riding at slow speeds

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

arcangel

Re: Running rough after 15 or 20 miles of riding at slow spe

Postby arcangel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:39 pm

I plan on tighting the cam chain fri But I doubt that will help the knock.

The bike has done it from time to time and last fill up was at a country station they did not have premium gas so I got regular The bike does not like regular at all.

I think I need to Re clean and set the carbs.
Maybe the timing could be advanced some or retarded to make it stop as well.
I did find If I use octane booster it stops the knock.
I have changed the plugs a few times and it still knocks from time to time so It may be just bad gas.
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:48 am

If octane booster does the job, forget about the cam chain.
Retarding ignition will help but on the cost of torque and power and engine will probably run hotter.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:19 pm

It seems to be better since I re gaped the Puler generators So they must be getting weak.
Also the bike has not been knocking the last 2 days or acting up.
I think this has it fixed for now, I have a used set of pulser generators
on bid from e-bay I just hope they are good.

I think most of the time it is just crappy gas all of the environmental additives make even my car run like crap.
also I just won a bid on new crash bar for the bike Si will take off the used set of cover guards.

They block the cover so I have to take them off to set the timing and to set valves and that is a pain. Also on the plus side I have as place to put pegs. :D

I ended up using silicone on the boots a year ago the clamps would not tighten enough . Still another thing on my to get list no carb boots and clamps.
A>
<A

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

rode 100 miles with passenger at 55 -75 mpoh lots of hills no problems at all

parked the bike left 3 hours later 10 miles later missing and running bad
every time I slowed down would not run unless I kep the rpms around 3000 to 4000 rpms. turned on High beams and it stayed the same no better no worse.

One more thing my flasher quit working sat and I went and replaced it with a 2 prong flasher off a car worked just fine for $8 honda part 3 times as big long wise and $40 or so dollars I like the @
$8 price.
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:41 am

Hope you used the opportunity of having the pickup cover open to put a few drops of oil on the advancer. 8)

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Ya I used wd40 but I did oil it up for what ever good that did. :lol:
A>
<A

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 pm

I checked the Pulse generators with a meter They were out of spec Changed them out will see how that does this weekend
The bike seems to run some better at idle.

The spec on them is around 530 OHMS + - 50 OHMS one checked 536 ohms other was 795 ohms. now timing and every thing seems a little off so I have to check all that as well I got a timing light the other day so at least now I can see if the advance is working correctly

I still need to get a tac for testing purposes.
I guess aftger the bike warms up this weekend I will maybe know if it took care of the problem.
A>
<A

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Well I think I figured it out but only time will tell.
I will say this if I am right, I will have a few interesting thing to teach a few people Online about the problems they are having with there bikes.
The main thing is it was not bad coils totally, it was mostly the pulse generators being half bad one was good in the set but my replacement e-bay set was the same one good one bad but lucky one that was good was the one I needed .
All I had to do was remove bad one and re attach the good one not as each as it sounds.
also they have one set with 2 yellow wires and one with 2 blue wires the sets of the same color have to be wired the same it the yellow is swapped with the other yellow you got problems.
not sure why but they do Have a tiny whit band around only 1 yellow and 1 blue wire they can not be swapped.
My question is why not make them a different color?????? Oh ya that would make since.
Well so far it seems to be working but I know it is only a while before something else goes wrong, guess that is life. There are way to many other things that are issues when you would think not. it made checking the parts a pain to say the least.
So far 65 miles and no more acting up Wooohoo.

One more thing to know on the pulse generators Very important!
they are to be at 60 deg f / 20 cel when doing the test but They should never read much less than the 550 ohm Mine read good when cold but after they got hot they when to 1 ohm and would not work or very erratically that was why the bike would run while it was cold but misfire after heating up also at hiway speed the air flow over the cover cooled it down so it would work tell slowing down.

also if you make the mistake of switching the small coil wires around the coils will work but not right as well.
I tried swapping the spark ighters plugs as well The bike would run but not good so that is somthing else to know.
A>
<A

Pinhead

Postby Pinhead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:35 pm

The ignition system on these bikes is borderline at best, IMHO. That's why any little thing can causes such dramatic running problems.

If I were you, I'd hop onto the GM HEI bandwagon. ;)

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks pinhead I might just have to look in to that.

But my problem was the pulse Generators I did not see a replacement for those in the links???

as of now I have 2 extra coils so they are replacement parts
I need to find a new set of the pulse generators mine are working as of now but if my bad set of ordered ones and my bad one on the bike are insight of things to come I should be looking in to a set of them.
A>
<A

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 am

I cleaned all ignition related contacts this year and think it was a good idea. :wink:

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:30 am

I cleaned all mine last summer to and used dielectric grease putting it back together.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:05 pm

I cleaned all the connections as well but did not help since it was the Pulse generators.

I may just have to take apart the pulse gens to see what is on the inside.
:?
A>
<A

Return to “Technical Discussion”