No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

Stevieb

Another Topic About My Bobber Project- REVISED 3:18PM

Postby Stevieb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:42 am

See revision in bold, below.

Well, just learned from Volker_P that the carbs on the black motor are different from the ones on the silver- he posted to my other thread:

Volker_P wrote:Welcome here! :D
The black engine will require the CV carbs or a silver cylinder head from an earlier model if you want to have piston carbs urgently (intakes spacing are different).
I join Phils request for pictures of your unconventional project bikes.

Not good news- I do not have carbs, boots, air box or (if it matters) exhaust head pipes) from the black motor- do have them all from the silver. I recall reading that the piston carbs are preffered to the CV's- because they are easier to tune? Given that I want to free up all the space the stock air box takes, and want to keep this project cheap, I was thinking of K&N-type boots (or maybe just velocity stacks) on the carbs I have. So- what to do? Options, as I see them, include:
1) Use the silver head (yuck)
2) Use the silver motor (maybe, but I don't know it's compression, I don't want to change motors at this time, and the black motor looks better)
3) Get the parts to make the CV carbs fit (don't know if this is even possible)
4) Trade what I have (piston carbs) for what will fit (CV carbs)

From my noob prespective, 4 looks the best. Opinions?

Now that the hurd of inevitable problems have had their scout poke his ugly head above the surface, what other issues should I be prepared for? (Didja know that a flock of Crows is properly called a "Murder of crows?" Methinks we need a similar name for a bunch of gremlins...)

This bobber project has, as it's top three priorities, that it be:
1) cheap (acutally, revenue neutral- I only put what money I get from selling stuff I don't need from leftovers from the parts bike and a CM400 I bought to trick out Gale's bike)
2) Quick to build, and
3) easy. Right now, tearing into the motor violates all three! Once I get the whole project done, and ridable, then I might think about motor work...

Part of the reason I am here is to find guys who want to buy or trade what they have and I need for what I have and don't need. Some (but not nearly all) the stuff I won't be needing will include
One of the motors
CV Carbs??
Two gas tanks- one rather big and squareish, other sleeker, from a 650 nighthawk I think.
Two seats
Bars
Switchgear
Wheels and tires
Frame, swingarm, etc.
Fenders
Headlight stuff
Some electric stuff (but gotta be careful I don't sell something it turns out I need)
Lots of other stuff, I am sure.

I would be happy to trade stuff...

Oh, and pics of the parts I can let go of, and the project, will be forthcoming.

Thanks, folks.

REVISION:

Just completed the compression test on the silver motor- or at least as much of it as I could. #3 spark plug BROKE OFF just below the hex part, so altho compression blows thru the hole, there is no way I can test that cylinder. Not a big deal, as it happens- other cylinders have, are you ready for this? 30, 60, (unknown) and 30 dry, and about the same wet. So, the rings are presumably okay, but the head needs some serious work- worse than the other motor.

So, anybody want a rebuildable motor, complete with carbs? How bout a trade for a set of CV carbs, rebuilt and jetted/tuned as much as possible, to operate with K&N filters on 'em?

Return to “Technical Discussion”