Some flecks of rust in carb float bowls

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

rob

Some flecks of rust in carb float bowls

Postby rob » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:06 pm

Hey everyone,

I took off #1 carb today just to check it out. Everything looked good and shiny, didn't look gunky at all. There was however a small amount of free floating rust that had settled on the bottom of the bowl. Does this indicate a rust problem in the tank or possibly a bad/clogged fuel filter? Does the small amount of rust in the bottom of the carbs warrant a stripping/cleaning?

Thanks,

Rob
'81 CB650 Custom

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:37 pm

It does indicate that you have some rust in the fuel tank. The best would be to clean the fuel tank. The second best to do if you you don't intend to clean the tank yet will be to put on an online fuel filter on the fuel hose that runs from the petcock to the carbs.

Volker_P

Re: Some flecks of rust in carb float bowls

Postby Volker_P » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:54 am

In case you should decide not to clean the tank, but just want to insert a filter check this out: Put a hose on the petcock, a bucket below and turn on reserve position. If a bit rust is coming in the "ON" position, the "RES" may be completely blocked or at least provide enough rust to block your inline filter within ten seconds. :?
I think there should be a filter screen on the petcock itself inside the tank (which may possibly remain in the tank when you remove the petcock).

rob

Postby rob » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:00 am

thats some good advice on that, I wouldn't have thought of checking the reserve as well if I did that

Rob
'81 CB650 Custom

Return to “Technical Discussion”