Starter Problems

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

jessakin4

Starter Problems

Postby jessakin4 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:59 pm

Question about my starter. My bike was running great, then now it doesn't start. The power comes on but when I hit the starter everything shuts down. Please help.
Jay Akin

Volker_P

Re: Starter Problems

Postby Volker_P » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:19 am

Sounds like something in your electric seems no longer to be able to stand high currents.
Most probably this is a bad battery cables connection. Check them for corrosion and tight bolts. My second check would be the main fuse close to the starter relais. Same here, check it for corrosion and tight bolts. In principle, similar problems with the ignition lock switch could also cause your problem.
Or just your battery has gone. Usually this is announced months before when the starter gets difficulties to turn the engine when it is hot.
Maybe your starter is shorted by dirt and only gets hot instead of turning. You can feel for that. But I guess then you would have at least a weak oil pressure light and no complete blackout.
Can you hear the starter relais? Can you hear it a second time when you release the starter? Do the lights come back when you release the starter?
Good luck!

Return to “Technical Discussion”