Plastic Choke Connector that breaks too easily

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Vatch

Plastic Choke Connector that breaks too easily

Postby Vatch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:04 pm

These are diagrams of the black, plastic choke adjustment piece on the carbs. The choke cable terminates onto this part. When removing the carbs some people (me included) break this fragile piece of plastic. Without this plastic part you cannot adjust the choke. The problem is you cannot buy the part. Some people buy a set of carbs only to find this part broken. Why did Honda make such a critical part out of plastic? We don’t know, but some asking the question have never ridden a SOHC again.

I saved copies of these images generated by another SOHCer (was it you Zeke?) to aid some else in a time of need. There was talk of having the part machined, but I’m not sure if it ever happened.

'99 1500 Drifter

cb650

Postby cb650 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:51 am

Would be nice to find out who and if they did get some made. Putting a 80 together now.

Terry

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:32 am

I stopped by an independent motorcycle shop about 150 km from my house in Wisconsin, USA. The shop repairs and sells mostly older bikes of Jap, Brit, Italian, and Indian make. There were a few SOHC's there for sale. I inquired about the choke adjustment piece. The owner laughed (he's an old guy and has owned the shop for 27 years) and said you just need to keep gluing them together or replace them with a piece of stiff wire. He was not aware of any new or after market replacements. I just thought I would pass along the information. :(
'99 1500 Drifter

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Thu May 18, 2006 6:58 am

I talked with a long time and still active Honda mechanice yesterday about this plastic choke piece. Get this. He claimed he had never seen one broken and wondered how it had broken. :o I couldn't tell if he just did not feel like getting into it or if he was serious. It just didn't seem believable.
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Re: Plastic Choke Connector that breaks too easily

Postby Volker_P » Thu May 18, 2006 9:25 am

I also was faced to this choke lever for the first time here. I never had trouble with it and I got to see a bunch of mistreated engines. I can't remember this part ever was broken.
On the other hand I was surprised about the camshaft tensioner misalingment topic. Several tensioners I saw so far showed traces from the starter clutch but as I started to write about that in the previous forum, noone seemed to know what I was talking about until I took some pictures.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Fri May 19, 2006 1:35 pm

OK, I'm thinking about relocating the choke cable and knob. I think I can use a cable that comes out near the idle adjustment knob. The angle seems like it would do a better job of letting me open and close the choke fully, which I cannot currently do with my rigged system. If this works and I don't have to removed the carbs just yet I'll consider it a partial victroy. Hehe, maybe I could put some cheesey skull knob on or something. :twisted:
'99 1500 Drifter

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:41 am

I wish it was all on the carbs.

Terry

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun May 21, 2006 2:40 pm

Looks like the newer metal parts will fit but would be a lot of work.

Terry

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Mon May 22, 2006 11:43 am

Is the metal part available? If I have to pull apart the carbs I'd rather install that than some fabricated piece.
'99 1500 Drifter

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:10 pm

I dont know if its available. But is might be pressed on the shaft also so might be more troubles.

Terry

Zeke

Postby Zeke » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:14 pm

Hey Guys:

Yep, it was me.

I do have the part -- one of the guys from the sohc4 forum had his dad make one for me.

They did a real nice job, for about 50 bucks. That's really not that bad.

Here's the history http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=1035.15

And the other link from the general forum here: http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?t=58

Like I said, I'm finally doing some work on the bike again, and so I'm going to install it this time.

I'm pretty confident that it will work, and so I will be sure to take some pics and post them here.

Wait till you see my repaired choke arm -- I can't believe that wired piece of shit has held together this long. 4000+ miles!!

Probably in the next few weeks.

Zeke

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:29 pm

Looking forward to the before and after pics. Yeah, bailing wire is key for "fixing" these things. I may need to rig up a helping wire to come out the side to full shut the choke. Starting is a beeotch these days.
'99 1500 Drifter

Return to “Technical Discussion”