79 CB 650, top end oil leak

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

thrutheframe

Re: 79 CB 650, top end oil leak

Postby thrutheframe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:36 am

kemp2368 wrote:good pics
i to have oil leak from i think the same place(but im really worried about re fitting the cover ,as someone before me stripped the bolts(copper washer ones) and i had to put slightly bigger ones in to get it to seal properly
how easy is it to get said washers/rubber grommets and how long to do,
or do i live with it as since i had the bike it still has not used any oil(2 years) but very annoying as its the only thing wrong with the bike

Its really quite easy. Get a service manual for the bike and follow the directions. I did this same operation twice because I did replace the puck the first time and I should have. The pucks are right under the cam cover and the pop right out with a pic tool or small screwdriver. Make sure you have the seal and the 6 pucks before you start and do all of it the first time. Also make sure you loosen the tappet adjusters all the way before you try to reassemble everything and above all else, FOLLOW THE BOLT PATTERN AS DESCRIBED IN THE MANUAL.
That all being said please read my next post.
I keep rubbin it but it still looks broken.

thrutheframe

Postby thrutheframe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:14 am

My oil leak at the cam cover and head bolt seals is tackled but I have a small one at the head by the #1 piston. I believe there is an oil galley there with a seal or O-ring. I plan to pull the current carbs off and replace them with my full rebuilr set (kits and diaphragms came in today) so once I get the carbs off the head will get pulled and I'll replace all the seals and the head gasket.

still leaking.jpg
still leaking.jpg (194.52 KiB) Viewed 7989 times

kemp2368

Postby kemp2368 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am

ok thanks
where did you get the rubbers from as cant find any over here in england
and i dont want to keep bike off the road as the weather over here as suddenly got better about 16 degrees want to get back to riding as she has been hidden in my garage for the past 4 months :D
cb650z,1979

thrutheframe

Postby thrutheframe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 am

Mine came from a gasket kit that ordered off of eBay. You can order them from bike bandit but I dont know if the ship overseas. cmsnl.com has them listed at 3.00 pounds each. I would think that it would be easier to order from the Netherlands than the US. What about David Silver? I've never looked at there website.

Here is the link for the part you need on cmnsl. I have no idea what yera your bike was made but Im sure you'll find it.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb650-1979-u ... E++02.html

kemp2368

Postby kemp2368 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 am

it is a cb 650 z 1979 :D
thanks for the link,i have been looking there,and at david silvers
gave david silvers a ring and they do have them,so all i need to do now is get the job done
but the weather here is great at the moment all i want to do is ride it :P :P
cb650z,1979

thrutheframe

Postby thrutheframe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Ride it while the weather holds! Make sure you have a manual and the right feeler gauges. Also, buy all 6 pucks and the cam cover seal. Good luck and happy riding.

thrutheframe

Postby thrutheframe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:36 am

So after about 300 miles of riding this bike I can say with confidence that my cam cover /head bolt seal leak is fixed. I do however have a leak at the head gasket or oil galley o-rings. Its certainaly manageable but I'd like the motor to be oilt tight.
I'm going to bring the bike inside later today and start on pulling the head as soon as I get the carbs Im working on off of the bench. Am I going to need a special tool to break the timing chain? Do I need to get a link and have it on hand? I have the Honda and Clymer manuals for the bike but haven't read thru that entire section yet.

Any advice anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:02 pm

thrutheframe wrote:I have the Honda and Clymer manuals for the bike but haven't read thru that entire section yet.

This is exactly what you should do. Even I still go through the relevant sections the day before I start just to be safe.
The timing chain stays closed. You'll see how this can work by reading the manual. :wink:

BTW, I would not open an engine in spring just because of this minor oil leak. If you want to try out something, have a look here.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

thrutheframe

Postby thrutheframe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:59 am

Very interesting and informative stuff. It seems like I should plan on replacing my valve stem seals while I have my head off.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:22 am

Valve stem seals are a good idea as they are cheap. Especially if you have some oil consumption. This usually is not due to the visible leaks.
With the exhaust/carbs off, visible (wet) oil traces on the valve stems are another hint to replace the valve stem seals.

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

thrutheframe

Postby thrutheframe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 am

THANKS!!! Thats the kind of info that makes these forums work. I'll take a look through my intake and exhaust ports before I pull the head.

mtherrmann

Postby mtherrmann » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 pm

After replacing the pucks and valve cover seal is it necessary to adjust the valves? I have a leak, and after reading this entire thread, I believe it is caused by those rubber pucks needing replaced.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:44 am

Specifications are close so it is necessary to check the valve settings after head cover reassembly. Some valves may need a bit adjustment.

Ruckryder

Postby Ruckryder » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:38 pm

Holy that was a very sloppy Redkote job :-O My boss would have had a fit if he saw work like that go out of the shop . ( I worked at a rad shop ) I plan to buy a can of Redkote for mine as I had numerous pinholes .
Btw Acetone removes Redkote ;)
" Don’t be discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward." ~ Unknown

Return to “Technical Discussion”