FORKS!

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

5.4L to Freedom

FORKS!

Postby 5.4L to Freedom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:18 pm

I have been fighting with my '81 CB650 front forks trying to change the seals... I took out the snapring above the seal, and removed the bolt out of the bottom of the fork. I try to remove the slider and get a loud metallic 'clunk' and no removal of the slider.

I have been fighting this thing with all my might, did i miss something or is my fork perma-broken?
Dr. SOHC650... former rider I got sick of fixin my CB so I bought a Harley and fix everyone elses...

Chris

Re: FORKS!

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:06 pm

If you have the air assist forks that came on 81's in my manual, this looks like a huge pain in the butt!

WARNING:The fork tube caps are under spring pressure. Use care when removing the caps to avoid injury. Wear face and eye protection.

NOTE: Fork seal replacement does not require inner fork tube and slider seperation.

Remove the schrader valve and install the special plugs (H/C 095806, P/N M2280-999-95806) into the cap. Place the fork tube in a vise with jaws and remove the fork tube cap. Remember, the caps are under spring pressure; wear face and eye protection. Remove the spring from inside the fork tube. Remove the dust seal, snap-ring and back-up plate. Extend the inner tube out all the way. Pour ATF into the fork tube up to the bottom of the cap threads and install the fork tube cap. Place the seal driver (P/N 07947-3290000) over the fork tube. Wrap a shop towel around the seal area. Compress the fork tube slowly with a hydraulic press until the fork seal is forced out. Hold the driver against the seal during removal to keep it from tilting. Remove the cap, tool and seal and pour out the ATF. Remove the back-up ring with a magnet. Remove the socket bolt and pump out the remaining ATF through the socket bolt hole. The manual doesn't say it, but I assume that at this point you could install the new seal with the seal driver tool and reassemble.

If you're sure that you need to take these apart completely, let me know and I'll get back to you with what the manual says.
1980 CB650c

5.4L to Freedom

Postby 5.4L to Freedom » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:37 am

So I actually got them apart! amazing what you can do with a ford Super Duty and some ingenuity ;) Actually, I didn't need the truck to pull them apart but that was my next step lol

So I don't know how i got them apart but i was just shittin around with the fork tubes and they popped apart.

Does the 81 manual say exactly how much oil is supposed to be in them? At this point all I need to do is put some fluid in there and put everyhting back together.

Also, does the manual say what size the triple tree cap nut is? I need to straighten my forks out a bit, they're off by about a half inch.

Thanks for the info though!
Dr. SOHC650... former rider I got sick of fixin my CB so I bought a Harley and fix everyone elses...

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:02 pm

CB650: 210cc (7.1 oz.)

CB650C: 245cc (8.3 oz.)

Not sure about the nut.
1980 CB650c

skidroadkid

Postby skidroadkid » Thu May 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Chris wrote:CB650: 210cc (7.1 oz.)
CB650C: 245cc (8.3 oz.)
Not sure about the nut.

My Clymer book says that the volume for the 1980 custom is 190 cc (6.5 oz.)

????

Return to “Technical Discussion”