Periodic maintenance - cam chain adjustmet & valve adjus

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Vatch

Periodic maintenance - cam chain adjustmet & valve adjus

Postby Vatch » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:54 am

I'll be doing these this weekend, in addition to a few other routine maintenance tasks. Are there anythings I should keep an eye out for while adjusting the camshaft chain and the valves? Anything else I should do while doing those repairs? Do I need the special valve adjusting wrench or can I get by with a versitile socket set?

I've got a long ride (400 mile day) in a week and half, and I want her purring like a kitten. I also have a 1000 mile trek planned for June. :D I'll be putting the generic fairing and sissy bar/luggage rack on for that one. I'll take some before and after photos.
'99 1500 Drifter

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Brew yourself a can of coffé. :)

I made a valve adjustment tool. The problem is that you can't get a ring or open spanner down there, and if you use an ordinary socket wrench, you can't hold the slotted adjustment screw still with a screwdriver while you tighten the lock nut.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:55 pm

It went pretty well. I had to readjust a few times because the gap would close when I tightened the nuts, but I got them all done :D I think a special tool would be the way to go. I see I need to replace the valve cover gaskets. They are a little hard and some of the o-ring gaskets are cracked and leak a little.

I also upgraded the headlight to a sealed bulb halogen. The US Z had an incandescent bulb that was not very useful for night driving. The replacement light is 55/65W with "ultra white light," what ever that means. It does seem brighter. 8)

The bike runs quiter now. No more noisey slapping from the engine.
'99 1500 Drifter

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:54 am

Vatch wrote:It went pretty well. I had to readjust a few times because the gap would close when I tightened the nuts, but I got them all done :D

That's where the coffe comes in :lol: . It can be frustrating if you do this without a valve tool. So taking a brake with a cup of coffé sometimes helps you get over it.

Anyways, well done. :D

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:41 pm

Yes the "special tool " does make it easier. Was there rum in the coffee Ibsen?
The lite on my 360 makes me want to carry candles. Good thing its mostly lighted going to work.

Terry

Volker_P

Re: Periodic maintenance - cam chain adjustmet & valve .

Postby Volker_P » Tue May 02, 2006 1:17 am

I have a strongly cranked 10/11 ring spanner box end wrench which perfectly does the job. Might be a more universal tool for those who consider some investment or just do not like coffé. :wink:
If you turn the crankshaft by hand from the right side, use the 24mm nut (this part is only there for that purpose) and not the 10mm one.

Vatch

Re: Periodic maintenance - cam chain adjustmet & valve .

Postby Vatch » Tue May 02, 2006 7:59 am

Volker_P wrote:I have a strongly cranked 10/11 ring spanner box end wrench which perfectly does the job. Might be a more universal tool for those who consider some investment or just do not like coffé. :wink:
If you turn the crankshaft by hand from the right side, use the 24mm nut (this part is only there for that purpose) and not the 10mm one.

Thanks for the information on the ring spanner wrench.

On my US model '79 the nut is 15/16 inches rather than 24mm. I thought this was odd because it is the only bolt I have found on the bike that is not metric. :? That is the beauty of having tools in the US, you need metric and english, especially when working on cars. You never know what unit of measure was used on what part. :evil:
'99 1500 Drifter

cb650

Postby cb650 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:53 am

The thread size in the oil press switch is American standard pipe. Find that on most japan cars too.

Terry

Volker_P

Re: Periodic maintenance - cam chain adjustmet & valve

Postby Volker_P » Wed May 03, 2006 8:02 am

cb650 wrote:The thread size in the oil press switch is American standard pipe. Find that on most japan cars too.

Yes, strange thread. I remember I spent some time to find something that fits in when I wanted to install a manometer for testing. I had several very similar threads which made the whole effort a bit dangerous. Holding against the oil pressure switch thread and measuring outer diameter is strongly recommended before you try to screw something in.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:16 pm

They are tapered also (most of the time) so measuring isnt always exact.
Hey can we throw in british witworth as stange to. I' had to deal with it too.

Terry

Return to “Technical Discussion”