advice for cleaning clogged accelerator pump passages

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Todd Richards

advice for cleaning clogged accelerator pump passages

Postby Todd Richards » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 am

I need some advice on cleaning the clogged passages of an accelerator pump system from a 1982 CB650SC? The actual accelerator pump diaphragm and housing are fine, fuel gets to it and is pumped, just not to all passages/jets.

I have a 4 carb set that use a single accelerator pump to communicate to the individual carburetors and respective jet. The passage way for 2 of the 4 carbs is clogged, & I was hoping there might be a method for trying to get the passage ways (interconnecting tubes) and jets cleaned without a complete dissassembly from the front and rear mounting brackets? I will disassemble the individual components from within each carburetor priot to cleaning.

I was thinking of attempting the ultrasonic option first and wanted to know if isopropol alcohol would be strong enough to dissolve the hardened laquer without harming the internal o-rings of the interconnecting tubes?

Is there another liquid that would be better suited for the task?

Soaking them, then applying low pressure compressed air has helped some, but i dont think it is going to clean them completely.

Thanks for any advice you can share.

Return to “Technical Discussion”