Carb inlet replacemnt "T's" source??

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

johnny340

Re: Carb inlet replacemnt "T's" source??

Postby johnny340 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Ordered. I guess the original ones just rotted right off and left no sign of their existence.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:55 am

You are welcome! 8)
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

oregonandy

Postby oregonandy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Just following up for some future reader on what I did for this problem. I started with a solution based on nate85's, above. I got a fuel line T from an RC/hobby store that I had to modify to keep narrow enough to fit between the carbs. Then used gas-safe sealant to "glue in" the nipple. It was quite a mess and after I got it all together, it was still leaking.

Second approach I got from mikeboy1 here. I got a nylon bushing that just fit the ports coming out of the carbs then tapped and die'd the bushing and a short aluminum tube. Around this I stuck some gas tank putty. Got this all back on the bike and the gas tank putting fell off and with the all the man-handling to get the hoses on, I ended up having to pull the whole off again. This time I used JB weld as the final sealant and it's working well.

Grud

Postby Grud » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:53 am

Hi everybody,

This is my first entry in this forum. I am happy to have found it!

The purpose of the rubber T:s and their hoses leading into the filter housing has been questioned. The drain tube in the float bowl should be sufficient to maintain atmospheric air pressure above the fuel surface, please correct me if I am wrong. If this be true, the blanking off of the vent holes shouldn´t affect the running of the engine. Maybe the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency had some influence on the introduction of this (dare I say) contraption? Anyway, it looks as a nice environment-friendly solution to draw the fuel fumes from the float bowls into the filter housing. On the other hand, this means that the air in the float bowls is slightly below atmospheric pressure? Was this the original intention?

The T:s on the bike I am dealing with now are cracked, but somehow stay together, so I took the roll of self-vulcanizing rubber tape and cut 6 mm wide strips and wrapped them around the cracks, having first inserted a 6 mm bar into the holes. This is not a 100 % watertight solution, it can be if I apply some fancy rubber glue into the prevailing cracks, but I haven´t found that yet.

I have taken photos of the makeshift repair, but I am struggling with the attachment issue, so far without success. Perhaps I am too old for this...

Return to “Technical Discussion”