Misfiring Is Weird?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

miketx750

Re: Misfiring Is Weird?

Postby miketx750 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:34 am

so you didn't plug the holes in the sides of the carbs and just left them in the cracked and corroded condition? ok, guess that works for me. sounds like they are not contributing to my problem anyway so i'lll just leave mine there. thanks.
Mike from Paris Landing, Tennessee, USA

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Don't you have a vacum leak with the tubes missing and would't this be a great place for water dirt and other things to get in the carb and block it up? Ya I know alot of questions :?
A>
<A

miketx750

Postby miketx750 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:34 pm

That makes sense, too, arcangel. I'm waiting for reply from Silex88 regarding my last post. However, I think these breather systems are just that, they equalize air pressure in the carbs, but they don't go into the vacuum system at all. So if a guy left the breather parts off, he would probably want to seal the openings, just to keep goop out. But I'm gonna wait on this for a while. Thanks for the heads up. Mike

Silex88

Postby Silex88 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:27 am

I wouldn't recommend sealing the holes. I know you can leave them open, but sealing them might cause some issues. I figured I would rather leave a damaged T on there than let the goop get in from wherever. Thus, I agree that it wouldn't be the BEST idea to leave them just freely open, but it can be done.

miketx750

Postby miketx750 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:06 am

There's the answer: leave the breather parts on, whether they are in good condition or not, as they will prevent nasties from getting in. Thanks guys for the help. I'm outa this thread, but the originator, Harvest Fields, hasn't been heard from in a while. I suspect he's out too so we can put this one to bed.

old gringo

Postby old gringo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:37 pm

DO NOT seal the openings (ask me how I know :wink: ). If you do, gas will pour out of the carb throats due to some type of suction effect when the slides move up & down. The vents are there to relieve this. Also, use a small piece of vacuum hose to connect #2&#3. Don't really know why, but do it anyway.
Laissez les bons temps rouler

miketx750

Postby miketx750 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:56 pm

My 2 & 3 are connected with vac hose already. And I WON'T seal those openings. Thanks for the tip.

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:21 pm

I have said this or asked this before .
But Isn't there a likely hood of water and trash being sucked in the carb and the breather from the open holes, also Would it cause a vacum leak?
A>
<A

miketx750

Postby miketx750 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:17 pm

Sorry we didn't answer that. My understanding is that there is no strong vacuum created through those ports and hoses. Apparently the movement of the throttle slides causes some pressure differentials that need to be equalized. The low pressure that occurs when the slides move up (see Ol Gringo's remarks) probably would not cause enough sucking action to bring in dirt and stuff at those ports. But remember, we are cautioned NOT to seal off those ports but to leave the T-fittings and hoses on, even if the system doesn't work quite right. That would prevent dirt from getting in.

Silex88

Postby Silex88 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:08 pm

You are exactly right sir. :)

miketx750

Postby miketx750 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:20 am

Gosh Silex, if I'm right that would be the first time in...well, maybe 71 years! :lol:

arcangel

Postby arcangel » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 am

That is my under standing as well.

I still believe in the rain the water from the road could get thrown up in to the carbs if the openings were open to the road, too much water splashes up from the road at least ,my bike seems to get a lot of dirt and water spots up under the carb area in the rain.

Well I for one don't have to worry about that I took the reaming and bout the t'S :lol:
A>
<A

Rgus

Postby Rgus » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:41 pm

@ Harvest Fields, I know this is an old post but I have the exact same problem.

You wrote: "Ok. Simple problem. The bike starts and idles fine but if you hold the throttle open at say, 4-5000 rpm it has a popping ( backfire? ) this is only coming from cyl 3 and 4. put your hand over the exhaust on 1 and 2 and its fine. on 3 and 4 you can feel it popping."

Do you, or anyone else have a remedy or suggestion for this?

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi Rgus, my first suggestion would be to check your spark plugs to see if there is an obvious difference between plugs 1+2 and 3+4, which might indicate that your air/fuel mixture might need adjusting on carbs 3+4. I would suggest new spark plugs, caps and leads, relatively cheap and easy to do, if you still have the same problem at least you will have eliminated that side of things.
What type of carbs have you got on your bike? Have you inspected your carb inlet rubbers for cracks? Have you cleaned your carbs? Do you still have the fuel shut off connected?, have you checked your vac hoses for leaks?

Return to “Technical Discussion”