Static Timing

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

marke

Static Timing

Postby marke » Wed May 23, 2012 12:43 am

Hey guys,

I assume my timing is off, upon deceleration my bike backfires a little bit. I was going to set the timing according to the static timing method as described in the Clymer Manual and I had a couple of questions.

First off... The manual says that dynamic is preferred, but static is satisfactory. Is it worth doing or should I wait until I get my hands on a timing gun?

Secondly, there is a note saying that, "Either the No. 1 or 4 cylinder must be at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke." How do I know that either cylinder is at TDC?

Thanks,

Mark E

Volker_P

Re: Static Timing

Postby Volker_P » Wed May 23, 2012 1:40 am

While cam chain timing is set at the T1.4 mark, static ignition timing is set at the F1.4 mark.

To get an idea, please refer to the No ignition timing marks? thread.

Static timing is completely sufficient, never tried dynamic.
It may be worth to disassemble and lubricate the advancer before you start. Note that if it may be reassembled in two ways (180° off) so make sure the point of the pulser magnet comes back in correct direction again.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

The_Paragon

Re: Static Timing

Postby The_Paragon » Wed May 23, 2012 9:33 am

marke wrote:Hey guys,

I assume my timing is off, upon deceleration my bike backfires a little bit. I was going to set the timing according to the static timing method as described in the Clymer Manual and I had a couple of questions.

First off... The manual says that dynamic is preferred, but static is satisfactory. Is it worth doing or should I wait until I get my hands on a timing gun?

Secondly, there is a note saying that, "Either the No. 1 or 4 cylinder must be at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke." How do I know that either cylinder is at TDC?

T would refer to Top-Dead-Center in which the 1 and 4 pistons are at TDC. At the F mark is for Fire. I'm not sure of S..
And thats about all the further my knowledge of timing goes!

Return to “Technical Discussion”