Missing cyl 3 maybe?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

gojoego

Missing cyl 3 maybe?

Postby gojoego » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:21 pm

So I put in all new plugs and when I run the bike now it sounds like it skip a beat with a little clunk noise. I felt the header and #3 felt a bit colder then the rest. I pulled the plugs back out and 2, 3, and 4 have carbon all the way down the center, which I understand to mean it may be running too rich, on those cylinders or may be due to at this point I have only been running it on the center stand. Running gear and lack of a battery are keeping me from going anywhere. #1 plug seems to look okay so far. At first I thought it was lack of spark but the carbon build up would disprove that, then I thought it may be timing but the timing is solid where it should be. Could this simply be a carb adjustment needed to be made? Would this make the bike sound like it is missing (maybe flooding a cyl and not lighting up) or am I missing something?

Volker_P

Re: Missing cyl 3 maybe?

Postby Volker_P » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:02 am

You may swap #3 plug with another one just to try it out.
Don't worry about black plugs on "main stand operation". Quite normal.

I could imagine your #3 idle jet is not really open. Hope your tank is clean. Or carbs are out of sync.

Nevertheless I won't worry about that too much for the moment.
As it seems to idle on all four, I would try a short ride of a few miles and feel for equal header temperatures again.
If equal, go a bit further and look up the plugs.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”