Newbie here 1982 Honda CB650SC no power or lights dead

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

ProjectVH

Newbie here 1982 Honda CB650SC no power or lights dead

Postby ProjectVH » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi guys and gals, I'm hoping some can help point me in the right direction. I'm new to motorcycle repair and got this bike pretty cheap for a winter cafe project.
I don't have the keys so I removed the ignition switch and broke out all the key pins so that the ignition turns without a key. I plugged up a booster pack to the old battery and turn-signal lights work and horn worked. The lights behind speed and tack came on, but starter did not turn over when I tried.
Purchased a new battery charged and installed it now nothing works. No lights everything is dead. I have 12V at the red wire on the ign-switch and 12V at the 4 fuses all fuses are good. I did remove the battery box airfilter and carbs for cleaning while waiting on the new battery. I have not put back any of those items. Also there was a rat's nest in the rear tail section ate up all the rear light sections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bolo79

Re: Newbie here 1982 Honda CB650SC no power or lights dead

Postby bolo79 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi.You should have another fuse.The fuse is located on the starter solenoid, it should be 30 amp.This is the main fuse, so blow that one than nothing will work.Bad solenoid may be the cause of your previous problems with the starter.It is also the likelihood that there is something wrong with the ignition switch.Good Luck!

ProjectVH

Postby ProjectVH » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi bolo79, thanks for the feedback. I'm working on this right now. Just came back in to post that I can get 12V on both sides of the 30amp start fuse. I also get 12V at the red wire on the ignition switch but if I jumper the red and blk wire on the ignition switch I get 1V on left side of the 30amp fuse and I get 1v on the blk wire and 1v at the four fuses.

bolo79

Postby bolo79 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:12 am

If the lights, blinkers and the rest is back the fuse is a good start stop switch is turned on and the clutch lever is pulled.You should hear the click in the solenoid and the headlight should darken a little,when you try to engage the starter.If you do not hear the click, that means the solenoid is bad.If it was so, that's cool, if not it, I probably would have been in the same place as you,next to my bike with a multimeter in hand, trying to understand WAY :? :lol: :lol:

ProjectVH

Postby ProjectVH » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:48 am

Hi things are still the same, dead no lights no power to anything. What should the voltage be at the four fuses when I jumper the red and black wire on the ignition. I'm getting 1volt is that correct?

bolo79

Postby bolo79 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Unfortunately, I do not know voltage,but when you pulled parts for cleaning,do you uncoupled any electrical connections?Wires bolted to the frame?

ProjectVH

Postby ProjectVH » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm going to try putting everything back that I had taken off for cleaning. I also purchased some new 15 amp fuse for the fuses up by the handle bars. I'm going to but the carbs back on, battery box and mount everything back to before I started cleanings. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:18 am

Welcome here! :D

If your voltage breaks down when you close the circuit this could either mean you have a bad short (bare cable ends at rats nest?), a weak contact or just your battery is weak.
Try a headlight bulb or the horn directly at the battery to get an idea what it still does.
Also check out battery cables and their connections at starter relay and frame. Also a weak ground connection in the headlight may cause a blackout.

In any case "rats nest" sounds like it is worth pulling cables plugs and cleaning contacts and checking out cables. I would start there and spend some time for it as otherwise you probably will come back soon with other electrical issues soon even if you manage to get it working for now. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

ProjectVH

Postby ProjectVH » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi thanks all for the help. It turned out to be a bad fuse at 30 amp main fuse. It looked fine and I had replaced it initially, but after testing it for the 3rd time it was bad. I replace it and I now have power again.

Started the bike up for the first time the other day and it runs and sound great. Hard to believe it is 30 years old.

bolo79

Postby bolo79 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:57 pm

ProjectVH wrote:Started the bike up for the first time the other day and it runs and sound great. Hard to believe it is 30 years old.
:D :D :D
Volker_P wrote:In any case "rats nest" sounds like it is worth pulling cables plugs and cleaning contacts and checking out cables. I would start there and spend some time for it as otherwise you probably will come back soon with other electrical issues soon even if you manage to get it working for now.
This is a very good advice.

Return to “Technical Discussion”