Ignitors: are these toast?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Focusinprogress

Ignitors: are these toast?

Postby Focusinprogress » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 am

So I recently picked up an incomplete parts bike on the cheap because most of the electronics were there for my hybrid motor build I plan to put in my CB550 cafe racer.....but I'm worried about the condition of the ignitors....the black "goop" that should be in them seems to have oozed out and disappeared leaving only a faint residue as a clue of it's disappearance. Is there a way to bench test them? can that "goop" be replaced?

usbear

Re: Ignitors: are these toast?

Postby usbear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:02 am

toast!
I do not know if anyone has figured or how to rebuild them.
one of the members posted a gm hei replacement.
Volker will probably reply with the link but you can find it from the main Bulletin Board.

Focusinprogress

Postby Focusinprogress » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 am

usbear wrote:toast!
I do not know if anyone has figured or how to rebuild them.
one of the members posted a gm hei replacement.
Volker will probably reply with the link but you can find it from the main Bulletin Board.

I did in fact already browse that replacement how-to and may end up going that route. I figured these were toast....just wanted to confirm whether or not they were salvageable before I gave up on them.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am

The melting of the goop does not ALWAYS mean they're toast. People have reported success in replacing the goop with JB Weld. That being said, these look worse than any I've seen before.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

usbear

Postby usbear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Yes correct. and you need to find out why they got so hot!
I have noticed that also and I have a set that melted and I am searching for answers to repair. But the safe answer is toast.
I have seen a post by Volker and would like to hear his thoughts also.

Focusinprogress

Postby Focusinprogress » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:00 pm

usbear wrote:Yes correct. and you need to find out why they got so hot!

I wish I could know, but I didn't even buy a complete bike....so I have no idea what has occured here. I bought this lot of parts because I plan on building a super crazy hybrid motor using 550 cases/trans with 650 crank, jugs, and head...with cb750 liners, an 836 kit, and GSXR1000 rods. shooting for 100hp. I needed the wiring bits to make the motor run on a 650 charging system....but now that I've discovered the GM HEI setup, I'll likely go that route.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Also, my Clymer manual said there is no way to test them, and an attempt to do so could damage them. You must also consider that it also says that many other repairs must be done by a professional, but (with help from this forum) I was able to do them myself with ease.

That being said, I've never seen anyone post a reliable way to test them.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

usbear

Postby usbear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Thank you!

usbear

Postby usbear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:09 pm

I like your build plans.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 am

In many cases the ignitors still work even after the black stuff did melt out. Check your charging voltage in such case. Yours look really bad, however.
Mine did melt out many years ago (at enhanced charging voltage by +1V) , I put the stuff back and covered the surface with epoxy as once soft it won't get hard again.
One may also refill them with JBweld as shown here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2290&start=18

No idea how to test them other way by just trying out. It seems they either work or not, at least there are no reports of intermediate, weak operating states so far here.

BTW, the black stuff is told to be toxic.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”