Therapy Project

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Dave Plunkett

Therapy Project

Postby Dave Plunkett » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:10 am

Hello All,

Background: I have always dreamed of building a bike from scratch but figured I would buy something that needed resurrecting first just to get my hands dirty. I work 50-70 hour weeks and needed a new outlet and this seemed to be a good option. We'll see how it works out. I should preface this by saying, I am in this for the following reasons:

1. Therapy - love getting my hands dirty and accomplishing tasks most people think are not worth the time. No amount of money can provide the feeling of accomplishing something on your own.
2. Getting an old beat down motorcycle back on the road. These things deserve better.
3. Excuse to buy tools!

So I was searching the internet and saw an 84 CB650 in dire need of resurrecting. I started searching the net for parts and support and found this site and plenty of parts available so I figured what the heck.

Although in bad shape, The motor turns over and it appears to have had some recent work done to it. Most of the lines have been replaced (fuel/oil etc...) and most of the bolts are in place and loose (although rusty). When I bought the bike, the PO sprayed Carb cleaner in the Carbs and it fired up briefly. Not sure if this means anything as it wasn't running long enough to speak to me.

Here are the steps to completion as I see it but please chime in if there is a better way to do things. I am new to this and certainly open to suggestions on organizing this project.

Step one - ordered the missing parts listed below:
Front Brake Calipers
Brake Pads
Seat
Pet Cock and Low Flow Sending Unit
And of course a Manual

Step two - give the bike a once over to see if all of the cables are working. Just figured I would identify anything that needs to be replaced so I can get them ordered. All cables seem to be OK.

Step three - I have started to disassemble the bike slowly documenting it with Pictures and putting all parts in separate plastic bags labeling them as I go.

My thought process was to clean/polish each part as it comes off to make reassembly an easier and cleaner job. I am trying to salvage as must as possible with elbow grease (sold separately) but have my work cut out for me as you can see.

Step four - Once disassembled and clean, I would send the fenders, tank, frame and engine off for paint.

Step five - reassemble. Sounds so simple doesn't it?

I'm wondering if I should try and get the bike running before I disassemble. This would save time cleaning and polishing parts that may end up needing to be replaced but not sure at this time.

Again, I am looking for advice and truly appreciate the time you guys spend helping others like me. I am truly grateful as I couldn't do this without your help.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_0098 small.JPG
IMG_0098 small.JPG (68.07 KiB) Viewed 12116 times
IMG_0102 small.JPG
IMG_0102 small.JPG (61.01 KiB) Viewed 12116 times
P1013479 small.JPG
P1013479 small.JPG (37.42 KiB) Viewed 12116 times

usbear

Re: Therapy Project

Postby usbear » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 am

Hey good project!
Nothing wrong with tear down.
Save alot of headache and get a HUGE Headstart.
Send carbs off to be cleaned repaired and set.
Big time saver!
Good project and welcome to the therapy room. Beats bars and so forth and is actually rewarding. Bob

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Welcome here!

Being a person who likes to restore, but has no real skills, I always like to get them running first to see if I can even do it. Then I usually tear them down for the deep cleaning.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Dave Plunkett

Postby Dave Plunkett » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 pm

So I had a little time today and got started on a few things.

Wire wheeled the tank a little and found some pitting. I'm sure this is due to all of the rust that was growing on the surface but who knows.

Removed the exhaust to get a good look at how rusty it is. Probably another thing to replace.

Also drained the oil and found a new oil filter and clean surface behind it. I started to clean up the oil filter casing but need to find another method as a tooth brush and wire brush wont get into between the fins. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

p.s. Folsom, I probably should have tried to get it running first but as you can see from the gas tank picture, I have my work cut out on getting the inside cleaned out. Still trying to figure out the best way. Can't bring myself to put it in the dryer wrapped up in a blanket with dry wall screws and detergent inside. Some how this screams trouble to me. Besides, mama is happy with me right now.
Attachments
P1013493.JPG
P1013493.JPG (70.23 KiB) Viewed 12100 times
P1013488.JPG
Gas Tank
P1013488.JPG (60.87 KiB) Viewed 12100 times
P1013496.JPG
Oil Filter Casing
P1013496.JPG (55.28 KiB) Viewed 12100 times

Dave Plunkett

Postby Dave Plunkett » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Disregard the cleaning in between the fins question unless anyone has a better idea than scotch bright pads and a spoke mounted with a handle.

Sometimes I'm a little slow in finding other threads.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 am

I have a good exhaust except some jack off painted it flat black. Can check the tank too. The bike was running till it ran out of oil and started knocking bad.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:09 am

Welcome here! :D

So this looks like you will face some work, nevertheless it can be done by a beginner.
Just have a look at the bike Folsoml started with.

Dave Plunkett wrote: Sometimes I'm a little slow in finding other threads.
Note that most topics here are related to SOHC, so some things may end up somewhat different for you.
I guess reading Folsomls early threads might be a good start for you, too.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Dave Plunkett

Postby Dave Plunkett » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks for the encouragement.

To give you an idea of how inexperienced I am, I had to look up SOHC. Didn't even know I had a DOHC. All I new is it had (4) pistons and a shaft instead of a chain.

Well, the manual showed up today and after reading the first chapter, I'm getting nervous that I'm in over my head. Ill get over that as I'm a persistence SOB.

Started to disassemble the wiring labeling all wires as I go but think I have my first little problem. The plastic housing at the main fuse is disintegrating. It is still snug but the clips that hold it in crumbled as I removed it. This is going to be fun.

Folsoml's post was a great read and I bet I will have many of the same issues.

Not going to get to work on the bike for a while but i will definitely be itching to get back to it next weekend.

Dave Plunkett

Postby Dave Plunkett » Sat May 04, 2013 8:20 pm

Had a great day taking this thing apart today. Got to spend some quality time with my Dad who I don't get to see enough.

Removed most of the bike but can't figure out how to remove the drive shaft or the air box. Thinking I need to remove the rear wheel first but not sure. Going to read the manual tonight as I have a friend coming by tomorrow to help with the engine. Below is a picture of where I am with dissassembly.

If anyone knows an easy way to remove the air box let me know.
Attachments
Almost Bare.JPG
Almost Bare.JPG (89.87 KiB) Viewed 12042 times

Dave Plunkett

Postby Dave Plunkett » Sat May 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Can anyone help me understand how to get the motor out? The issue is with the drive and the manual doesn't say you have to disconnect it.

I assume this needs to be removed from the trans but can't figure out how without removing the back wheel. I was hoping to remove the engine while still on two wheels for support but it seems stuck on the drive and I'm trying not to brake anything. I'm sure I'm missing something stupid.

HELP!!!!

Dave Plunkett

Postby Dave Plunkett » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:57 am

So it's been a while since my last post since this project actually sent in for some real Therapy. Had surgery on my arm to help with tennis elbow that has been keeping from holding a wrench. I was able to get the motor out and I'm currently cleaning and polishing parts. If all goes well, I should have the majority of the parts ready for paint in the next few weeks.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Glad to be back in the swing of this project.

Bet you thought I gave up:)

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 pm

Welcome back! Did you ever figure out how to get the engine out of the frame?

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Dave Plunkett

Postby Dave Plunkett » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:26 pm

I sure did, I borrowed an engine hoist and used chains attached to the mounting holes. It was really tight but I managed to get it out without damaging anything. It's 100% disassembled now.

I have decreased most to the parts and started polishing them one by one. That's a daunting task but they are starting to look pretty good.

Need to finish up the rear wheel and get the new tires mounted. I have some before an after pictures of some of the parts that I can post when I get my PC back up and running. That died along with my arms late last year. Thank god for iPads.

I think I added a few photos so let's see if it worked.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:51 pm

What are you using to polish your parts? I just recently got into polishing. I bought a bench grinder and a bunch of buffing wheels and polishing compounds. I am currently doing a the engine covers for my CB900C.

Dave Plunkett

Postby Dave Plunkett » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm using a polish/rust remover from turtle. I'm using a fairly abrasive pad for the first pad, then a softer cloth for the second and third. I will be using a super fine sand paper to get the desired finish. Even thinking about clearing them once they are done.
Attachments
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG (89.9 KiB) Viewed 11683 times
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG (105.6 KiB) Viewed 11683 times
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG (174.82 KiB) Viewed 11683 times

Return to “Technical Discussion”