No More Oil Leak, Re-torque?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

chuter

No More Oil Leak, Re-torque?

Postby chuter » Tue May 21, 2013 7:55 am

Over the winter I had planned to replace the head gasket and seals on the CB. Well, the best laid plans... Dropped the bike with a local shop along with all the parts I collected. Picked her up yesterday. No more oil leaks (so far). Picked up about 3MPH against RPM's in 4th gear. Before the repair I'd do 40MPH at 4,000RPM, 50MPH at 5,000, etc.. Now I'm doing 43MPH at 4,000RPM and about 53MPH at 5,000RPM in 4th gear. The shop owner said my head gasket was "shot" and probably causing the loss of compression so it would not be unusual to pick up efficiency.

He took her for a ride then re-torqued the bolts. Should I re-torque after I put some miles on her?

Pinhead

Re: No More Oil Leak, Re-torque?

Postby Pinhead » Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 am

chuter wrote:Over the winter I had planned to replace the head gasket and seals on the CB. Well, the best laid plans... Dropped the bike with a local shop along with all the parts I collected. Picked her up yesterday. No more oil leaks (so far). Picked up about 3MPH against RPM's in 4th gear. Before the repair I'd do 40MPH at 4,000RPM, 50MPH at 5,000, etc.. Now I'm doing 43MPH at 4,000RPM and about 53MPH at 5,000RPM in 4th gear. The shop owner said my head gasket was "shot" and probably causing the loss of compression so it would not be unusual to pick up efficiency.

He took her for a ride then re-torqued the bolts. Should I re-torque after I put some miles on her?

Did he work on your clutch? Because unless your bike has an automatic transmission with some type of vacuum and/or throttle position shift assist, the RPM discrepancy is either a coincidence or a mental. . .

I had to re-torque the head bolts on my '79 after a few hundred miles. I think it depends on the type of material the head gasket is made of. Just watch real close for oil leaks and if it starts to weep, hit it with a torque wrench.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed May 22, 2013 2:41 am

chuter wrote: Picked up about 3MPH against RPM's in 4th gear.

Strange.
This shift mph <-> rpm is only in 4th gear?
Would be even more strange.
Did they split the crankcase?
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

chuter

Postby chuter » Wed May 22, 2013 11:47 am

The only reason I noticed the difference is because since I've owned the bike it has been consistent regarding the rpm matching mph in 4th gear. Have about 150 miles on since the work. No oil on my pants. I was going to give her a good cleaning but haven't gotten around to it yet. Another biker friends suggested I try S100 cleaner. He swears by it. The local Harley shop has it for about $7/btl. Some good online reviews so it's worth a try.
I'll re-torque soon.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu May 23, 2013 1:35 am

I observed some mph/rpm shift with new tires because diameter is different. Especially if you get a different tire than before. However this covers all gears of course and probably should be not that much.

The only option for a considerable and gear specific change would be using 1982 Custom gears. Here some gear pairs are different, but I don't remember which ones. However this would mean splitting the crankcase.

Or someone just lubricated your speedo! :lol:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”