Neutral Light

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

mattisvan

Neutral Light

Postby mattisvan » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 am

Having problem with the neutral light, it sometimes blink when i'm finding the neutral, mostly when i go from second to first, but when i'm in neutral the light is not on, but when i lean the bike and put it on side stand it lights up.

is the start button connected with the neutral and clutch switch or just the clutch switch, cause start button sometimes don't work as well

???

kstylian

Re: Neutral Light

Postby kstylian » Thu May 23, 2013 8:16 am

The neutral switch is under the left hand chain/engine cover. Check the wiring to the switch. If the wire is frayed or exposed, then it may be shorting on the case or cover. Also make sure the connection to the switch is secure.

Nanospasm

Postby Nanospasm » Thu May 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi I just had a similar problem and yes the neutral switch in the left hand cover, the same as the gear footlever... I just gave it a bit of a clean and realigned it a bit and now works fine :D

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 am

The starter will turn either with neutral light on or with clutch pulled. At least if all contacts are in acceptable shape.
Especilly the "neutral switch" is known to cause trouble.

The neutral switch contact is located beneath the sprocket cover just above the oil pressure switch. Follow the second, single cable there into the black stuff and clean off everything.
This will probably help.

There is also a certain play for adjustment if you loosen the center screw of the black cam.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Totaled108

Neutral Light

Postby Totaled108 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Along these lines,

I took apart the small cam that is screwed onto the shaft that makes contact with the neutral safety switch. Cleaned all the contacts, yet still can't get the neutral light to come on when in neutral. The funny thing is, nthe neutral light comes on every time I pull the clutch lever. So closing the switch in the clutch lever is flashes green at me anytime I'm switching gear.

Any thoughts? It doesnt look like anyone messed with the wiring.

There was one time where I was able to get the light to turn on while messing with the contacts and gear lever by hand, engine off. Seemed to light when in neutral. I think, cool, it works! So I start the bike up and the light goes back to only illuminating via the clutch lever. Gggrrr.

I still ride it everyday, so I'm used to it, but pops into my head every now and again, 'maybe I should fix that'. :)

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Totaled108 wrote: So closing the switch in the clutch lever is flashes green at me anytime I'm switching gear.

Any thoughts? It doesnt look like anyone messed with the wiring.

Your diode is burned out. You can order a new one for about $20 (31700-124-008 RECTIFIER ASSY., SILICO), or, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can get 2 of them at Radio Shack for $2.14. You want part 1N5401 3A 100v. You will just have to solder on the tabs to connect it to the wiring harness.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Totaled108

Postby Totaled108 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron. I just have no idea where I need to put them, or where the silicone rectifier is. Where are they?

Thanks for the help so far. :D

Totaled108

Postby Totaled108 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Did some searching all over the interwebs. Is it the small plug looking thing plugged into the harness just under the tank on the none clutch side of the frame, just behind the coil on that side?

I'll go test it when I get a chance. :)

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:05 am

Sorry, I did not see your initial response. I could have given you directions to it. Yes, what you describe is the diode. Hope it works for you.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “Technical Discussion”