Hot starting issue

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Aussie

Hot starting issue

Postby Aussie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:49 am

Gday, I have a 1980 CB650 Custom which runs purrfectly but when hot it doesn't like re-starting. Leave it until it has cooled down and starts no problem. Had to replace the starter solenoid as it had melted all this black shit all over my frame. Any ideas as to why this is happening. Battery is fine charging system is fine and as I say it runs perfectly. Just this re-starting when hot issue :twisted:

MiGhost

Re: Hot starting issue

Postby MiGhost » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Clean, and service the starter, and replace the brushes if needed. Also check the battery cables (Battery>solenid, solenoid>starter) for excessive resistance when hot.

Ghost
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:23 am

Welcome here! :D

Does not start when hot means does not crank (electric issue, see post of MiGhost) or does not fire? The latter might be e.g. due to too tight valves.

BTW, with a weak battery, it will crank fine for a long time when cold but not turn over at all when hot. A car battery and a jumper cable may help to clarify this issue.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be accepted to your site. Have owned a CB650 since 1984. 2 Nighthawks and my new old Custom. As to the valves, they were done on the loose side as I have found trouble in the past with the old slip fit method. So I know they are fine. I have been doing a bit of checking and I am thinking that my battery is shite, on it's last legs pretty much. Will invest in a new one as I tried my battery from my Nighthawk and that was fine. Much fuss about nothing really. Feel like such a knob as I should of known better but there you go, we can all have a noobie fit every now and then ha ha ha

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 am

Don't worry. The difference in hot-cold cranking with a weak battery is quite extreme.
Hard to consider from cold behaviour that the battery should be weak, but nevertheless a typical CB650 fact.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”