79 CB650... Strange Clutch Issue. No engage/disengage point

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

RichPugh

79 CB650... Strange Clutch Issue. No engage/disengage point

Postby RichPugh » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:59 pm

I just picked up a 79 CB650. Got her running well enough to test ride but was having some clutch engagement/disengagement issues. The cable was a bit stretched and had some shielding damage around the head tube (new cable on the way) but it still seemed to move with some freedom... so I adjusted the barrel at the lever all the way out to help with tension a bit but it was still VERY hard to squeeze... but the clutch hand lever did pull the cable and lever under the clutch cover.

While running on the center stand, rear wheel off the ground, I could put it into 1st and 2nd gear (didnt bother going past 2nd) and find neutral but it didnt seem like the clutch lever was doing much of anything. Rear wheel would spin and seemed to increase speed with throttle. But, clutch in or out didnt affect a thing. I could rock the bike back to stop the rear wheel from spinning while the clutch was in or out... and it only seemed to put a slight load on the engine. It wouldnt stop or even slow down the rear wheel from spinning at all when i pulled in the clutch, so I decided to adjust the lower cable position to take up more slack up top. It still had about 1/2" of adjustment avail so I went about 2 full turns, pulling the cable and lever. Now the clutch lever almost works backwards LOL.

Sitting on the bike, running, both wheels on ground, clutch lever out, 1st gear, bike sedentary like clutch is engaged or in neutral... pull the clutch lever in to disengage clutch, bike wants to pull fwd without about 10% of standard engaged clutch effort, LOL. Can it be over-adjusted? Should I simply go back the opposite way?

I have yet to find a cable position where squeezing the clutch lever allows the clutch to disengage and lets me shift the bike into gear OR where releasing the lever engages the clutch to propel the running bike forward in gear.

Volker_P

Re: 79 CB650... Strange Clutch Issue. No engage/disengage po

Postby Volker_P » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 am

Welcome here! :D

If you don't get it adjusted reasonably within the cable adjustment range: There is a basic clutch adjustment described on page 3-17 in the manual linked below.

These wet clutches -especially at cold oil- won't really separate in a way that you can get a really stagnant rear wheel on the main stand with the clutch pulled. This would be rather a hint to check your rear brake. :wink:
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

RichPugh

Postby RichPugh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:03 am

Volker_P wrote:Welcome here! :D If you don't get it adjusted reasonably within the cable adjustment range: There is a basic clutch adjustment described on page 3-17 in the manual linked below. These wet clutches -especially at cold oil- won't really separate in a way that you can get a really stagnant rear wheel on the main stand with the clutch pulled. This would be rather a hint to check your rear brake. :wink:

Thank you :) When the new cable comes, I'll do the manual suggested install and adjustment. Til then, I was just bewildered at pulling in the clutch and it propelling the bike forward LOL (while on the ground). As far as getting a stagnant rear wheel with the clutch disengaged up on the center stand, I never expected it to stop but I was confused as to why the clutch affected NOTHING haha... I could stop the rear wheel from spinning with my foot with clutch in or out.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Welcome!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

RichPugh

Postby RichPugh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Hello everyone... thanks for the greetings!

So I decided to take a few more minutes with it and follow the manual instructions and someone had the clutch lifter adjustment screw WAY in. I backed it off, set it to 1-3/4 turns back (manual says 3/4 turns but I had to pull it back more), set the lower cable adjustments so the lower lever had just a little play, the cable is def stretched so I had to pull the barrel adjuster all the way out but... she rides!

Engages well, a little low, but didn't slip at 3/4 throttle 2nd and 3rd gear around the neighborhood. I may play with reducing that extra turn once I get the new cable.

There is a wonderful feeling when you can make a non running, non-riding bike, run and ride :)

usbear

Postby usbear » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Good Work, you are now seasoned.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:12 am

Good work!

RichPugh wrote:Engages well, a little low, but didn't slip at 3/4 throttle 2nd and 3rd gear around the neighborhood.

Clutch slipping typically starts at high speed and high rpm in a high gear.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

RichPugh

Postby RichPugh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 am

Volker_P wrote:Clutch slipping typically starts at high speed and high rpm in a high gear.

Well, me being 300 lbs and assuming the clutch was the problem and not the adjustments, I'm still very happy it didnt slip at 3/4 throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear, high rpm (I redlined in 2nd and got a few seconds in 3rd without a dragging engagement) :)

Cowboydavid

Re: 79 CB650... Strange Clutch Issue. No engage/disengage point

Postby Cowboydavid » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:31 am

Hey I'm actually going thru the same thing right now with my 79 cb650. The clutch cable broke and it had been sitting up for 6 years when I bought it. Up on stand I pull the clutch and wheel pulls a bit,but release the clutch and it acts like it's engaged. I've taken clutches out 4 times,we even started turning adjustment screw and it's either too tight or too loose. I'll try the adjustment that the manual calls for this week to see if it helps. It acts like the clutches won't open,I'm not sure,I've never had to deal with this problem on other bikes. Also if u might know what would cause dash lights to stop working after I loaded it up and brought home. Only one that comes on is red power light,and even my blinkers stopped working. I would appreciate any ideas of help on this bike,few little odd and end problems. If u want to message me back directly my email is davidrichardson7608@gmail.com. once again I appreciate it.

Return to “Technical Discussion”