Timing not quite right...

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Totaled108

Postby Totaled108 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:27 pm

So I have been riding an 80 CB650 that I had done a bit of engine and carb work and it's running well. Have gone about 7000 miles and have never got this one thing figured out.

I'm having timing issues. I never really set up the timing dynamically, just statically.

Here is my issue. When I was trying to adjust the plate that the pulse generators are attached to, the only way the bike runs as it has, is if it is max to the rear/left/counter clockwise. When the plate is centered or moved all the way to the right/clockwise, it bogs down. All of this is at idle. Also, it won't really idle less then 1200rpm, it will start to sound a little like its only running on 3 cylinders.

Other then that, it seems to run well. Every now and again there is a hesitation when in 5th gear cruising at 50-70mph and roll on to pass, put will only last a second and the power comes on very well. It's more suble, but will do this a little at odd times in lower gears.

For the most part she is a blast to ride and has been very reliable.

Thanks if you have any advice or more questions on what is done to the engine. All stock but the air cutting diaphragm bypassed.

Volker_P

Re: Timing not quite right...

Postby Volker_P » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:50 am

The static method is completely sufficient as long as you correctly use the 1.4F and not the 1.4T mark. Typically you do it static and find no need to change anything when you have a look with a timing light.

Two hints:

You may move one pulser coil on the plate so both can be set exactly 180° off.

Another issue is the advancer. It may need some lubrication.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Totaled108

Postby Totaled108 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:32 pm

That was a helpful thread. Only took 10 minutes to get the advancer off, a few oil drops, work it in and reinstall. Seems to have had a very small snag at the very start of the advancer action, but pretty smooth otherwise. After lubrication it was even smoother from rest to full advance.

This however didn't change the mild hesitation at speed though did seem to slightly smooth out idle, and the pulse plate had to be fully retarded to run its best. Any turn towards advance would bog the engine down.

I rode it to work this morning, 18miles at ~60mph ambient temp of 16f.

Might the cam chain be off by one tooth?

Btw, the plugs are all equally light brown/ash color, yet even with choke off and fully warm, I can smell a bit of fuel as I come to a stop, only slightly though. And I'm getting about 40mpg.

Any thought?

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:54 am

Totaled108 wrote: ... and the pulse plate had to be fully retarded to run its best. Any turn towards advance would bog the engine down.

What means "fully retarded"? Corresponds to ignition at 1.4F or even even at 1.4T?

Totaled108 wrote: Might the cam chain be off by one tooth?

Remove a side valve cover and have a look if the inlet and outlet camshaft lobes show a perfect upwards "V" at the 1.4T crankshaft position.

Totaled108 wrote:
Btw, the plugs are all equally light brown/ash color, yet even with choke off and fully warm, I can smell a bit of fuel as I come to a stop, only slightly though. And I'm getting about 40mpg.

Probably slightly rich but 40mpg at 60mph seems too much.

Did you try without the air filter cover yet?

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Totaled108

Postby Totaled108 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:06 am

The pulser plate needs to be fully rotated to the rear of its adjustment to be close to the correct setting and running well. The timing mark is pointing in between the 'F' and the 'S' near the 1.4 on a warm engine. It's almost as if I were able to turn the pulsed plate further, it would run even smoother.

I have just gotten out of bed, I'll have to check everything else out this weekend.

Thanks for brain storming with me Volker

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:50 am

Totaled108 wrote: The timing mark is pointing in between the 'F' and the 'S' near the 1.4 on a warm engine.

This sounds all right, see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3463&start=4

Totaled108

Postby Totaled108 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:48 pm

So I checked the cam visually by pulling the cam cover. It's lined up as per the manual. Yet the advancer needs full counterclockwise rotation to run at all. But now it doesn't run right at all. Boges just off idle, and it won't idle for crap, and surges and nearly dies with no input from throttle.
Carbs were synced before doing all this, and after bypassing air cutoff diaphragms.

Want to push this bike off a cliff!

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:22 am

Then push it my way! :wink: :D
Btw do you know who all the earlier owner was?
You'll never know what nincompoops may owned the bike before if it's been several earlier owners.
I discovered that on my bike as it was 15 amp fuses when it should be 10 Amp. And all of the winker cables was cut when one earlier owner installed miniwinkers.
And the winker mounts on the rear cromed bar was cut off!

So a totally shakedown using a good manual is always good. :wink:
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

Return to “Technical Discussion”