Tach and Speedo from a Honda Shadow

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

premiumroast

Tach and Speedo from a Honda Shadow

Postby premiumroast » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Anyone have any insight into changing out speedo and tach on an 83 CB650? I picked up a speedo and tach off a Honda Shadow and am wondering if it would work?

flamdchicken

Re: Tach and Speedo from a Honda Shadow

Postby flamdchicken » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Now I have no experience with switching out tachs and speedo, but I assume your original speedo (if stock) is attached to your front wheel and it is a simple rectangle tang type receiver in the wheel. If the shadow it came off of was also connected to the front tire I cannot see there being any issue as long as the tire sizes are the same between bikes and that the gearing in the speedo itself is the same. I would say if you have a working set on the bike right now, get a speed reading at a few specific rpms and gear and then switch out speedos and see if it matches the speed reading at those rpms/gear combo. If that works, repeat with the tach. I'm not sure what the tachometers are attached to inside the engine, never had to mess with them.

premiumroast

Re: Tach and Speedo from a Honda Shadow

Postby premiumroast » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Flamdchicken, thanks for the info! I will do a little research and check tire sizes of the bikes and see if I can find a little comparative info between the tachs. If I can manage to get them to working it would be great since I picked up both and a rear fender for a cool $20!!

Return to “Technical Discussion”