1979 CB650, low miles, great shape! Complete! Lompoc, CA

CB650's for sale

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Yonash

1979 CB650, low miles, great shape! Complete! Lompoc, CA

Postby Yonash » Sun May 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Located on the Central Coast of California

I have a complete 1979 CB650 I am wanting to sell to someone who will appreciate it. I have come to really like this bike, and have gotten to know it well. It hasn't been running for long, as I spent a couple years tearing it down in my spare time with the help of my cousin (MMI Valedictorian graduate in all 4 Asian bike programs), and I have a little over $1000 into the bike. It has been repainted, as the original paint was not in very good shape. I have a couple threads around here detailing some of the stuff that has been done to it over time, and as of now the only issues we are having with it is a problem with the accelerator pump, so she's not wanting to run or idle properly. Also, the speedometer and tachometer are not working properly, but I have the new speedometer cable that can go with the bike if I do not have time to do it myself before I leave, and the tach I am not totally sure why is isn't functioning correctly. But, everything is there, side covers and all. It's not the prettiest, or most original condition CB650 out there, but it is overall in very good shape.

I have come to the conclusion that I would rather have a little more beat up example, as I would rather make a cafe racer out of it, and want to offer CB enthusiasts the chance to have it, rather than have a good example fall victim to a torch and welder. As a classic car enthusiast, I know how it feels to see a fine example of, lets say, a 1969 Camaro, fall victim to being chopped up for a race car or something. While I love to see a well built '69 Camaro race car, that car was beautiful as a near original Camaro too, and a beat to heck Camaro would have made for just as good of a race car, and someone else could have loved and enjoyed the nice one that was sacrificed. It is for this reason I want to sell. I will be leaving in a week for Basic Training for the Air Force, and would rather not have to arrange transport for it afterwards. I will have my wife monitor this forum and my email while I am gone. I appreciate those who look and spread the word, I would love to see this bike go to a loving home.

Modifications I have made are few, but include LED tail light (eBay) with integrated license plate light, and black mirrors with LED turn signals in the stalks. The entire bike was repainted white, with gold accents on the engine, and fork tubes. I did not finish all the painting I had planned on, but nothing was prepped for paint that didn't get painted, so everything is protected. Most of the money spent on the bike was replacing damaged parts, or just things that should be replaced anyway. It has brand new Dunlop D404 tires on it, with less than 5 miles on them. The bike itself has about 20,500 original miles. The bike only has a few minor blemishes, but all is easily fixable. The front left top corner of the tank has a small dent from the handle bars coming into it, as there is a small crack that bent over time on the steering lock tab (not sure what it's actually called...on the front of the steering neck, it limits the bars side to side travel), and a small little pit on the bodyline on the topside of the tank. There is also a bit of rippling in the rear fender that was covered by the stock tail light assembly, and would not be seen if a new original tail light was put on.

I hope to get around $1,000 for the bike, but that's not firm and I am willing to talk and consider offers. This will be posted for sale other places as well, but I will do my best to have my wife monitor everything fairly, and make the best decision for us.

ps. disregard the brake linkage in these pictures. they are detailed elsewhere here, but have since been replaced, and the brake works just fine now.

bonhomechristopher

Re: 1979 CB650, low miles, great shape! Complete! Lompoc, CA

Postby bonhomechristopher » Thu May 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Awesome looking bike!! I am all the way across the country and already have my own baby to work on so can't buy it. I do have a question, though. Did you have to re-jet your carbs for the mac 4-1 exhaust?? It looks sharp and I want to get one someday. Good luck with the sale!! :mrgreen:
So...when will your bike be finished? Umm, never. It is an old bike, there's always gonna be something to do!

lmc

Postby lmc » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:14 am

I am curious about a couple of things on you bike.
Is it currently registered in CA?
When you say "took it apart" does that include the engine or tranny?
What makes you think the carbration is accelerator pumps? Did you ever go through the carberators?
I am in Northern CA and may be interested.

lmc

Postby lmc » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:59 pm

if you are really serious about selling this bike call me
916-213-3881

Yonash

Postby Yonash » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Well, the bike is now with me in Mississippi. I recently joined the Air Force, and am at Keesler AFB here in MS for tech school. I am still interested in selling it, but think it might be difficult to sell to someone in CA now. If you have some sort of local contact that you trust to see the bike and make the transaction, or something, I don't really know how I could sell it to you. I know I wouldn't buy something sight unseen, and wouldn't feel right selling the bike to someone without them being able to see it. Let me know if you're still interested, but I won't blame you for walking away.

As for your first post, the engine had the head removed and inspected, pistons and rings all looked fine, but trans was not taken apart, aside from disassembling and inspecting the clutch. Carbs were completely dismantled and soaked in cleaner, and reassembled with new parts as required. All of this work was done by my cousin, who attended MMI in Phoenix, and graduated valedictorian from all four Japanese bike courses (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha). The only thing that didn't get replaced was the accel pump, it looked fine when we tore it all down, but after getting the bike reassembled and running, it began leaking. After looking into that, we found a tiny tear in the diaphragm, and the rod had a VERY slight bend to it (barely even noticed it).

Return to “Bikes”