New Bike! A couple of things needed

CB650's for sale

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

ewoch

New Bike! A couple of things needed

Postby ewoch » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi guys,
I have just purchased a 1984 cb650 nighthawk. The old girl is in good general condition but it has a couple of parts missing after somebody (the previous owner) tried modding the bike. I want to bring it back to standard if possible so,,,,
Does anybody have or know anybody who has the left and right side panels of this model?
The colour is unimportant as i am a spray painter anyway but i would prefer the parts to be in good condition if at all possible.
Oh, and one other thing, I live in the UK!!! Not too shocking i hope and i am quite willing to pay reasonable costs to get these items shipped over if necessary.
Ewoch (Steve)

gohonda

Re: New Bike! A couple of things needed

Postby gohonda » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 pm

The cb that you have i presume it's a dohc,or is it foreign import sohc with a late registerd plate. look on ebay there is a few side panels on their.It might be worth a look on the american ebay site by the way there is one on ebay as we speak. I have just tryed to put a link to it can't manage it at the moment.
1980 honda cb 650
peterborough England

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:18 am

Welcome here, Steve! :D

Unfortunately there are only few DOHC owners here. I'd guess your request may be more successful at:
http://nighthawk-forums.com/

Another option might be the CBX650E (RC13). This bike is quite common in Germany and quite close to the 650/700 Nighthawks in many issues. Side panels look at least very similar, however this is just a guess to be checked out in detail.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:27 am

i have a set but shipping might be hi. send me a pm if you like.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

ewoch

Postby ewoch » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:34 am

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies.
I picked the bike up today, it is just a single cam, chain driven (as opposed to shaft). The tank, frame and other metalwork seems to be in good condition. I am a little bit confused however as the speedo has 130mph top speed on it, i thought the twin cam engined jobs had this while the single cam engines had 90mph top. I suppose i could be wrong.
The bike has been semi restored and i picked part of it up in a box but almost all of the parts are new and won't take me long to refit :D
Just a little bit about me, i am returning to 2 wheels after almost 20 years and i am 45 years old, so i suppose you could say it is a mid life thingy ( but what a mid life thingy to have eh!!).
Looking forward to having loads of summer fun riding (I'm too old for riding in the cold and wet).

wingman

Postby wingman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:29 am

Look on the front of the frame on the neck just below the handlebars and see what year your bike is. I could be crazy but i don't think there was a 650 single cam after 1982.
Last edited by wingman on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Post some pics. The 79 speedo did go to "130" and will fit the other sohc4 650s except the nitehawk. U might have something "put" together from other years. The haynes manual states the sohc until 84 so I imagine some places got them until they where used up. And some places list year as when sold not made.

wingman

Postby wingman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 pm

cb650 wrote:Post some pics. The 79 speedo did go to "130" and will fit the other sohc4 650s except the nitehawk. U might have something "put" together from other years. The haynes manual states the sohc until 84 so I imagine some places got them until they where used up. And some places list year as when sold not made.

But the model year (for parts) would still be 1982 or prior. I don't think they wait for them to be sold to stamp the frame.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:50 pm

No but some people dont know to look at the frame and just go by the title or registration. Many years ago I went to look at a "81" custom. Talked to the guy on the fone to make sure it was a 81 as I was looking for parts. All he had was a bill of sale stating 81. As soon as I seen it it was a 80. Showed him the tag and offered him 100 less for it. Actually the engine is in my current rider now.
Even the people who are supposed to know dont always know. But thats another story.
And over the years who knows what has been done to the vin tags. More stories on that too. :lol:
And as stated haynes lists until 84. So some places might have gotten a 84 sohc. Some of the slower market countries might have received the end run.

wingman

Postby wingman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Haynes list is by model year and for how long that model was made. It is showing the 1982 model CB650sc nighthawk still sold until Feb 1984 (in the UK). All the 84 650 nighthawks listed in the parts books have double over head cams. My point is don't go looking for parts for a 84 because you won't find any. It is a 1982 model. If you bought a 1969 CB 750 still in the crate from some dealers storeroom today would it be a 2012? No !

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:20 am

No it wouldnt!!!!!! But my point was some stupid counties might register it as that. Thats why i originaly said we need pics to see what he has. :lol:
And over the years people play with parts and vins. Pics will tell not us arguing about it.

wingman

Postby wingman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:01 am

What we need is for the guy to look at his frame. Who is arguing? Your the winner. :D

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 pm

:lol: :lol:

ewoch

Postby ewoch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06 am

Hi again,
Sorry for my infrequent responses but i work weird but long hours.
My lock up is just over a mile from where i live. Next chance i get i will take some piccies and post them here (or a link to them at least)

Steve

Return to “Bikes”