Parting Out: 1982 Honda CB650 [Blue]

CB650's for sale

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

witttom

Parting Out: 1982 Honda CB650 [Blue]

Postby witttom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:16 pm

I bought this bike two weeks ago, knowing that it had issues. I knew that it was a possibility that I could resort to parting it out, but it was my true hope to repair it and put it back on the road. Knowing that I should probably skip over the investment in time to get it back on the road and get right to chopping it up, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. But I looked at it and I said to myself, "Damn... that's just too nice of a bike to break down into parts!". I just couldn't do it. So I recently spent some time with it. I replaced the solenoid and I replaced the starter, and what I found by doing that [in addition to the starter legitimately being bad] is that the starter clutch is bad. That's bad. I know how to arthoscopically replace one, and I know [IMHO] that it's not easy. I had it running briefly when it momentarily engaged. I also discovered that it leaks oil pretty bad. Replacing the starter clutch is a lot of effort for a bike that may have a variety of other issues. It's a runner, but unless you're ambitious enough to bump start it everywhere you go [or to take the time to replace the starter clutch], I think it would best serve as a donor bike to keep other ones like it on the road. I'm just not that ambitious.

Parting Out: 1982 Honda CB650
:| Damn. Look how nice this bike is.

FAQ's:
- CAM has sold.
- Odometer is showing 13,486 miles but I believe it has closer to 26k miles on it.

I will be breaking this bike down over the coming days, photographing individual pieces, and selling everything. Let me know what you need. I will be updating this thread with a list of parts that have sold. It is fairly common for me to ship parts out the following day after receiving a PayPal payment, but sometimes it takes me two or three.

I will answer PM's, but if you have an interest or questions about specific parts, it's usually best (and quicker) if you email me directly at witttom@yahoo.com (three T's in w-i-t-t-t-o-m).

If you do not see the part that you need, check with me. I'm parting out several other CB650's and may have what you're looking for.

These items have sold (or are not available) from this bike:
650C mirrors
Camshaft and tach drive gear.
Side covers and emblems
Carbs w/ choke
Front Fender
Rear Fender
Rear Turn Signals
Tail Light Assembly
Petcock
Ignitor (CDI/ECU/MPS-200) Pair. -I may have others.
Fuel tank
Chrome airbox covers (I have others)
Wheels/Tires, front and rear
Rear brake hub
Frame/Title
Swingarm
Rear shocks
Triple trees
Head
Cylinders
Lower Engine (Crank, Rods, Pistons, etc).
Tranny
Kickstand
Center Stand
Pulse Generator
Headlight Bucket (I have others, if interested)
Wiring Harness
Battery Box, Tool Tray, Electronics Mounting Plate
Regulator/Rectifier
Start Cover
Last edited by witttom on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:22 am, edited 10 times in total.
Tom Witt
06TriumphT709EN 98MZBaghira 86HondaCH250 83 HondaCB650SC 81SuzukiGS750Cafe
Graveyard Parts:
Honda 79CB650 80CB650 80CB650C 81CB650 82CB650 82CB450SC
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

Volker_P

Re: Parting Out: 1982 Honda CB650 [Blue]

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:53 am

What a pity to tear it apart.
Guess it could be a good idea to bring this bike back on the road with another engine.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:07 am

Volker_P wrote:What a pity to tear it apart.
Guess it could be a good idea to bring this bike back on the road with another engine.

Very sad. :(
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

witttom

Postby witttom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:52 am

Volker_P wrote:What a pity to tear it apart.
Folsoml wrote:Very sad. :(

Yes, I agree. It's sad.

I am often cursed by some of my good friends who are vintage Honda junkies, for running these bikes through the chop shop process.... but those same friends occasionally praise me for helping them keep their Hondas on the road. ;)

I have had a couple individuals express an interest in buying this bike from me as a whole, and I am certainly willing to sell it off like that, but the time andy money that I've already invested into this one makes what I need out of it, probably more than what it is worth.
Tom Witt
Graveyard Parts:
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

cb650

Postby cb650 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:31 pm

The starter clutch usually isnt to bad its any other shit you find along the way.
Like previous half assed repairs.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

witttom

Postby witttom » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:48 pm

cb650 wrote:The starter clutch usually isnt to bad its any other shit you find along the way.
Like previous half assed repairs.

I tried to remove the starter clutch from one of my other parts bike engines, through the oil pan, with the engine upside down. I know that's easier than splitting the case, but geeesh... I still had a rough time with it. Trying to do that with the engine still in the bike, performing an arthroscopic surgery from below, requires more patience than what I have! Hehe... but yes, knowing that the bike leaks oil was a factor in my decision too.
Tom Witt
Graveyard Parts:
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am

hello,

I have dinged everything above and including the headlight nacelle on my bike (see thread in technical discussion, here we are again) in a crash about three days ago...

I need

1) the speedometer,

2) handlebars (have new grips laying here),

3) cylinder reservoir and cap (master cylinder itself is ok, but we can discuss)

4) the cap for the fusebox is broken (like that when I got the bike but bolting things back on, I can as easily bolt on one that is intact!)

4) the headlight Nacelle, bezel ring, and possibly the lens itself (though I may have to put on the Windjammer if cost is too high, so we can put this on a maybe list)

5) the Mounting plate for the gauges (one leg of it pulled apart until the aluminum parted at one end, the gauges currently swivel left and right, with the remaining attachment point as a pivot)

7) I need the highway bar/case guard for the right side, as in the photo of my wrecked bike. It looks like the mounting plate is bent, but I don't know if I can straighten it or not. If I cannot, I will need one from someplace...

6) possibly the tach, as the screws backed out of mine's faceplate, and I don't know how to get into it to reinstall them

I don't really need the mirrors, I have the factory ones (I just need to replace the glass in one of them) and the junkies were the ones that took a beating in the wreck, otherwise I would ask for the entire upper package to be shipped, as a unit (bars, master cylinder assy, headlight and bucket, you see what I mean?) and you could keep the bar center clamp for someone that needs that part with the steering head/forks.

Take a look at my setup on the other thread, and please send me a message about what we can do. If you could itemize as well as give a summary for the bits to replace what you see on the other thread (minus the mirrors and windshield, as I have other plans there).

Now all that said, I am no longer considering that I MUST keep the bike stock or even similar, if we can make some parts of other bikes fit, I am not entirely against some cosmetic differences provided function is there. I am, shall we say, flexible! :lol: This was my first bike, and I got it with the realization that I would potentially do this to it sooner or later. I never counted on the throttle cables hanging up, though, that one came out of left field.

By the way, I need throttle cables and a choke cable if you have one. :lol:

Please shoot me a message and let's compare notes to see if we have it all covered as well as how closely your avatar and my situation align (how deep in the toilet I am... :roll: )..

witttom

Postby witttom » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 pm

bubbachicken wrote:hello,

I have dinged everything above and including the headlight nacelle on my bike (see thread in technical discussion, here we are again) in a crash about three days ago...

I need

1) the speedometer,

2) handlebars (have new grips laying here),

3) cylinder reservoir and cap (master cylinder itself is ok, but we can discuss)

4) the cap for the fusebox is broken (like that when I got the bike but bolting things back on, I can as easily bolt on one that is intact!)

4) the headlight Nacelle, bezel ring, and possibly the lens itself (though I may have to put on the Windjammer if cost is too high, so we can put this on a maybe list)

5) the Mounting plate for the gauges (one leg of it pulled apart until the aluminum parted at one end, the gauges currently swivel left and right, with the remaining attachment point as a pivot)

7) I need the highway bar/case guard for the right side, as in the photo of my wrecked bike. It looks like the mounting plate is bent, but I don't know if I can straighten it or not. If I cannot, I will need one from someplace...

6) possibly the tach, as the screws backed out of mine's faceplate, and I don't know how to get into it to reinstall them

I don't really need the mirrors, I have the factory ones (I just need to replace the glass in one of them) and the junkies were the ones that took a beating in the wreck, otherwise I would ask for the entire upper package to be shipped, as a unit (bars, master cylinder assy, headlight and bucket, you see what I mean?) and you could keep the bar center clamp for someone that needs that part with the steering head/forks.

Take a look at my setup on the other thread, and please send me a message about what we can do. If you could itemize as well as give a summary for the bits to replace what you see on the other thread (minus the mirrors and windshield, as I have other plans there).

Now all that said, I am no longer considering that I MUST keep the bike stock or even similar, if we can make some parts of other bikes fit, I am not entirely against some cosmetic differences provided function is there. I am, shall we say, flexible! :lol: This was my first bike, and I got it with the realization that I would potentially do this to it sooner or later. I never counted on the throttle cables hanging up, though, that one came out of left field.

By the way, I need throttle cables and a choke cable if you have one. :lol:

Please shoot me a message and let's compare notes to see if we have it all covered as well as how closely your avatar and my situation align (how deep in the toilet I am... :roll: )..

I think I can help you out on a LOT of this stuff. I'm reviewing your crash pics. I think I will need to look some more. Hehe...

That top mounting plate that you refer to, is actually your top triple clamp. That kinda sucks (because it is an integral part of your front end), but it's not difficult to replace and I do have one.

Shipping handlebars sucks (I have lots) not because of the weight but because of the awkward size. If you're buying a bunch of stuff (in a big box) maybe it won't be so bad overall.

What area are you in?

It would be nice if you were close. I think I could really help you get patched back up.

Send me an email at witttom@yahoo.com (three T's in w-i-t-t-t-o-m) and let's discuss. I occasionally have some trouble accessing my PM's, but I do well with email. ;)
Tom Witt
Graveyard Parts:
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:19 am

Note that the front ends of 1982 (single disk) and 1981 custom (dual disk) are different.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:22 am

Volker, is it more than the calipers that are different? Is the master cylinder reservoir still a plug into the 81 version? The calipers were supposedly recently redone, so hopefully won't have to go there, but is the triple clamp, or other bolt-on items on top of it or gauges, etc, different or is it just the calipers and potentially the outlet lines on the master cylinder (if the res and cap fit mine, I can leave the cyl I have alone, or perhaps rebuild it internally if needed, while I am in there and bleeding the new lines anyway)?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:00 am

The fronts are totaly diff. 1 vs 2 disks is a diff M/C. About only thing the same is gauges and headlite although the housing is diff.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

witttom

Postby witttom » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:16 am

The 650C mirrors have sold from this bike.

The camshaft and tach drive gear has sold from this bike.
Tom Witt
Graveyard Parts:
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:16 am

I already have some stock mirrors. I am fine there, the crappy aftermarkets took the hit, and even though they scrubbed, even the aftermarkets are still actually intact.

It was pretty odd, things I imagined would have been toast are fine, things that were hidden behind the windshield were toast. I probably should not have had that windscreen attached with the too long bolt I used, that probably caused most of the damage other than the light, above the stem... Dangit...

I suppose I learned that lesson, no more protruding bolts... That is what got the speedometer on my bike...

witttom

Postby witttom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:54 pm

Last day for me shipping out parts this week is Wednesday. Post Office is closed on Thursday July 4, and I will be heading out of town on Friday the 5th. I won't be back until July 15th or so. During that time I will be answering messages when I can and the best that I can, but I won't be able to ship out parts, give accurate shipping quotes, nor will I be able to measure parts or pull parts. If there is something that you need from me NOW, get it while you can. Otherwise, I'll be back in my workshop on the 15th or thereabouts. ;)
Tom Witt
Graveyard Parts:
Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850

bubbachicken

Postby bubbachicken » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Tom, my parts list you already have, barring any emails I have not seen (haven't checked today or yesterday if I recall correctly). I can wait til you get back for shipment (getting cash together anyway), so have a great trip, check back now and then in case I find something else (will also prob send emails if that happens) and get back safely so I can fix my bike. Who knows, maybe someday I can take an extended trip and meet for dinner or coffee, who knows! Be safe!

Return to “Bikes”