High Viz LED's

Get some new gear

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

chuter

High Viz LED's

Postby chuter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:58 am

I've been looking at changing my brake and turn lights to higher visibility LED's. One place I've looked is: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... htm#Table1 that would just change the bulbs inside the existing fixtures. From what I've seen on a friend's bike, the brake light is much brighter (and draws less power) but the turn indicators are the same but again, draw less power. Another option is: http://www.hyperlites.com/stdsf.html with bright LED's and they flash at higher frequencies to grab attention then stay a solid light.
Has anyone gone to LED's or higher visibility lighting to make auto drivers more aware of us?
The hyperlite folks also have some bright white driving lights that add light for night driving and forward visibility to other drivers.
None of these are real cheap though.

Pinhead

Re: High Viz LED's

Postby Pinhead » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:47 pm

I got some cheap LED trailer lights from Walmart that are brighter, smaller, and use less power than the stock original. I replaced the entire housing when I changed my fender, though, as they weren't in a "bulb" form factor.
Attachments
SSPX1644.jpg
New rear fender w/LED taillight.
SSPX1644.jpg (242.29 KiB) Viewed 5411 times
SSPX1638.jpg
Walmart LED taillight.
SSPX1638.jpg (232.97 KiB) Viewed 5411 times

totem12

Postby totem12 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:22 pm

i'm replacing my bulbs with leds from "autolumination"....i think they have a good selection to choose from.....the brake lights seem brighter as do the rear turn signals...i have those same "arrow" leds for the front (they were missing when i got the bike) but can't seem to get them to light or flash...

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:12 am

A classical relay needs the proper load to flash correctly. You might need to install a hidden bulb in parallel to get it flashing in a normal way.
If it does neighter flash nor light, check ground and also measure the cable signal.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

chuter

Postby chuter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:48 am

I installed the "flashing" brake lights from hyperlites and some LED's in the original brake lite. Nice difference. Superbriteled's offers a replacement flasher when going to all LED's. I'm still considering doing that for the turn indicators but when I looked at where our OEM flasher is located, I balked. It's hidden behind the starter solenoid and mounted 90 degrees from the side so removal and replacement would be a challenge I'm not ready to tackle. Visibility from the rear is dramatically improved. Still thinking about what to do for the front to improve head-on viz. Available power from our electrical system, light location and wire routing are in consideration for that project.

totem12

Postby totem12 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:21 am

volker, i bought a cheap electronic flasher and to my surprise it is working and flashing my rear signals just fine.. :D ....but i have more work to do to get the front led signals to flash properly.... :(

Return to “Accessories and Apparel”