not everybody is rich!

Get some new gear

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

kbailey

not everybody is rich!

Postby kbailey » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:38 pm

I am getting seriously peeved with the state of the market for motorcycle gear.
Its getting pretty cool around here on the ride to work in the morning. Now that I have a bike that will start at lower temperatures I want to ride at colder temperatures. It is in the mid 30's F (approx. 1C) here in the morning when I need to ride to work. what I need is a pair of riding boots, the only shoes I own have mesh toes and breath very well. This means that by the time I get to work my toes are frozen. I don't want anything fancy, no kevlar, no armor, it doesn't need to come halfway over my shin, I don't want harley boots, just something that doesn't let wind blow through it and has a lot of flexibility in the ankle. I'm sorry but I don't have $100-$200 US to spend on boots!

I think everyone in the world that rides a motorcycle is richer than I am. even the gear all of you have spoken about wearing when you ride. I would love to gear up before I ride but I can't afford $1k in gear. I ride because it SAVES me money not so I have something I can throw all my money at!

its just frustrating that any footwear that is actually designed with riding in mind is WAY overpriced.

Volker_P

Re: not everybody is rich!

Postby Volker_P » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:29 am

I completely understand your position as I was a student when I got my CB some years ago. For the riding gear I spent some time reading small advertisements of private persons. You often get things worn once or just for a week for quite low prices especially now when it is going to winter. Small holes in leather wear are quite cheap to get repaired but provide a good chance for further price lowering negotiations. However I spent some time and did ride many kilometers for the jacket as I needed quite long sleeves. With the boots I was lucky, I just used the army boots they left to me after I quit. They did a good job for many years, although in winter longer rides were not really convenient.
I bet you may get cheap, good used ones in any army shop, maybe even with some lining.
You may also consider to mount some small windshield in front of your feet (I have this for my dirtbike in winter, not only warmer but also much less mud), or remove the heat shields on the exhaust. :wink:
Here we have some discount aftermarket dealers that offer cheap wear especially at fall/winter. Often the quality is not too bad there, too. But you have to know what to look for as the offers are sometimes confusing. I recently managed to get a 50EUR glass fiber helmet of not too bad finish. However you may get trash at the same shop for the same price another time. :?

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Good motorcycle boots cannot be had for less than $90. However, I bet you can find something. You're in central Iowa, find a farm store. Look for a pair of roper style cowboy boots. Get something with rubber soles (leather is too slick). You should be able to land a pair for $50 or so if you look around. Insullated for the winter will be more, but a wool socks can take care of that at least for rides of 35 miles or so. They will be sturdy leather for protection and will be flexible once you break them in. Don't worry about the color, once the gasket on the top of the engine starts to leak color is beyond your control, or so I've heard.
'99 1500 Drifter

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:49 pm

Yup, you don't *have* to have motorcycle boots. A good pair of high top hiking boots does the trick as well. It's what I wear when I ride.

kbailey

ebay I love you

Postby kbailey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:42 am

I just won an auction for a new pair of redwing motorcycle boots (retail $139) for $49 including shipping. I hope they fit well.

Now for the gloves. Any recommendations? no windshield covering the hand grips on my new ride.

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:46 am

I'm guessing you want some warmer weather gloves. Check out pre-season sales on things like snowmobile gloves. Pretty tough to go cheap or for something not designed to twist a throttle. I have not found a pair of suitable winter gloves, but definately get something with a nice guantlet to prevent the wind from going up your sleeve. Ski gloves work pretty well, but would offer little protection if you go down.
'99 1500 Drifter

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:31 am

No gloves with fingers - whatever they tell you, they are too cold in winter without hand protections.
Take a mitten or a glove with two fingers. Maybe another thin, oversized and windproof one for a second layer. Between this one and the one below, you can install some insulating stuff, but just on the upper side so you don't loose the feeling on the grips.
Close fitting is bad, as you need the air inside for insulation. Sometimes one layer less is more.
A really warm body also helps considerably to keep your fingers movable.
Finally the best gloves will not make you happy when they don't overlap enough with your jacket to keep away the cold from your wrist.

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:23 am

My Father's favorite pair of cold weather 'riding' gloves is an old pair of insulated welding gloves that he's had for years. After pricing some of the fancier gauntlet-type motorcycle gloves, I'm almost tempted to follow his lead. He's had his for so long he's worn the lining right out of them and still won't replace them. Maybe they're that good? I have a couple of pairs of cheap welding gloves in the garage that the kids bought me for Christmas a while back and I've never worn. Maybe a pair without a lining worn with a thinner insulating glove underneath would do the trick... I'll let you know what I find :wink:
1980 CB650c

Vatch

Postby Vatch » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:01 am

Why not. Insulation works both ways. Besides, a welding glove would offer protection in lay down. If they work well, buy a bunch, sew an HD on them and sell them for 4X the cost. :D
'99 1500 Drifter

nickjtc

Postby nickjtc » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:56 pm

I just whipped down the thread, so apologise if I'm repeating someone else. Try your local pawn shops. There is usually motorcycle gear to be had there.
.....to be myself, a pattern for others.

1979 CB650
1971 Norton Commando
1968 CB175

DammitDan

Postby DammitDan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:49 pm

nickjtc wrote:I just whipped down the thread, so apologise if I'm repeating someone else. Try your local pawn shops. There is usually motorcycle gear to be had there.

That's a GREAT idea!

Return to “Accessories and Apparel”